Console Game of the Year (Nominations)

Soldato
Hmm, I kinda disagree with you there. Strong contender for GOTY but it's not Mario 64. Game of the decade would probably be something like Deus Ex or Grand Theft Auto III. Mario Galaxy just doesn't have that dazzling entrance on the scene that Mario 64 did, where it really did send shockwaves through the gaming industry. A muted reception compared to its illustrious predecessor, if you will. Other games since Mario 64 has resonated far more with gamers in general, including the two I've mentioned earlier.

We'll have to agree to disagree :)

I've never seen a game get such a positive reaction from gamers - even Mario 64, which is probably my favourite game. Deus Ex was very good (I prefered SS2), but certainly doesn't have the widespread appeal of Galaxy or 1/10th of the polish and design quality. Let's face it, even for its time, the combat in Deus Ex was ropey at best.

I agree that Galaxy hasn't matched Mario 64's entrance, but then again, how could it? We've had 3D and analogue for donkey's years now. If anything, this makes Galaxy's massively positive reaction even more worthy of praise. We're not being wowed by the inclusion of a 3rd dimension and all the new gameplay possibilities that comes with it, but because in terms of creativity and imagination Galaxy is in a class of one.

Soldato
1. Portal
2. Mass Effect
3. BioShock

Bleh, wrote stuff about PC games too so shortened to only be console games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Some intesting choices kicking about..

for me

1. Skate
2. Uncharted (yeah i know its not out here lol.. but ive nearly completed it twice)
3. GOW 2

Choice 3 was a toss up between assasins creed and GOW for me.. but i must admit i never got bored with GOW i did alittle with AC.. still one of my fav games of the year tho :)

Associate
Crackdown - Spent many an hour on this one of the most memorable games ive ever played.

Bioshock - rarely do i finish a game or want to finish a game as much as i did with this. Quality not quantity maybe and they made the mistake with the non dying issue but aside from that imo it was perfect.

The Orange Box - I know ill be spending a lot more time on this then i have done so far, its superb value and will have its day

as for disapointments for me : Stranglehold was a poo game

Associate
1. COD4 (beats all else by a long way for me)
2. Bioshock
3. PGR4

Mass effect and/or Assassins creed may have entered this list but i cant play them until Xmas AAAaaaargh!! :)

The bored to death award:

1 The orange box.

HL2 has aged quite badly in my view(ive also played it before on PC years ago). Portal was good but didnt really blow me away like many other recent games.

Last edited:
Associate
Uncharted
CoD4
Eye of Judgement

The last one may surprise a lot of people, but it is an extremly deep strategy game, I am totally addicted to it and spend way to much money on it atm :)

Back
Top Bottom