• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A P4 3.2Ghz Prescott is Equivalent to What Core2Duo?

Soldato
A single core Celeron runs SPI 1m in 21s? I have an e2140 in a HTPC clocked at 3GHz and this does it in 22s, looking at a few review and benchmark sites they say a Celeron 420 is equal to around a P4 630 3.0GHz.

What are these chips like for temp? :) They seem good value for money do the new celerons.

Last edited:
Associate
A single core Celeron runs SPI 1m in 21s? I have an e2140 in a HTPC clocked at 3GHz and this does it in 22s, looking at a few review and benchmark sites they say a Celeron 420 is equal to around a P4 630 3.0GHz.

What are these chips like for temp? :) They seem good value for money do the new celerons.

I have had a 2140 aswell, really the 420 is just a single core 2140, since SPi uses 1 core the celeron gives same time more or less at same speed. Depending on apps though the P4 will do better in some cases than the celeron due to HT. The temps vary greatly from chip to chip, the 420 was about 30, but that was using Asus probe since TAT doesn't work with the Cel.

Soldato
you realise you're comparing brand new silicone to something probably 3 years old?

hardly suprising it gets whooped really is it, I'd be a bit miffed if it didn't! Like, WTF are you boffins doing? Eating crisps and watching lost?

Soldato
Nobody would take a P4 over a C2D but at least give the guy the whole picture and not a cherry picked benchmark.

Some of the games ones are a lot closer, for example.

Associate
My Prescott P4 3.4ghz (was one of the higher end ones) ran at 90C idle, i've given that PC to my dad :)

And yes, the thermal die in them obviously sucks, i laughed when it said it was 100C+ and i could touch it..

90c?!! Thats rediculous, I've got my 3.2Ghz Prescott @ 3.8Ghz (keep pushing it a bit more, secretly I want it to break so I have an excuse to upgrade). Anyhoo idle its about 36-38c and load 48-50c. Suerly at 90c thats got to be a fire hazzard??

Back
Top Bottom