The 'Hiper-Explosive' Club

Soldato
Another one bites the dust...!!

Couple of weeks back mine started undervolting badly (10.4V on the +12V), so I contacted Hiper (still awaiting their response). 2 days later after using my PC, I shut it down and went out shopping. Came back 8 hours or so later to find the PSU still running (ish). Slight burning smell too.

I unplugged the wall socket and plugged it back in. This is where I believe the Hiper killed my PC, the point where I should've known better and waited for the PSU I ordered 2 days prior to arrive. I pressed the power switch (fatal mistake?) to be greeted with a 'WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE' sound and a bit of ticking, then a small flash and bang.

So, one deceased blue Hiper Type R 580W to add to the list, taking with it a motherboard at the very least. It lasted 27 months.

Soldato
So, one deceased blue Hiper Type R 580W to add to the list, taking with it a motherboard at the very least. It lasted 27 months.
Ouch! :( Mine blew in October I think. Luckily it just took the PSU out and nothing else. :eek:

I take it your PSU is out of warranty so you can't send it back for a refurb or replacement?

Soldato
Still under their RTB warranty.

Not sure whether I could live with having a replacement and selling it on to some poor, unsuspecting person though.

I'm tempted to give it a royal kicking in the garden and film myself doing it. I'll post the video here if I do, and send Hiper a link too :D

Associate
Hiper... How I hate you.

I put myself forward as the newest member of this club, I have (or should I say had) a Hiper Type-R Modular 530W PSU that I used to run in my old P4 3.4Ghz/1950 XT system, it worked fine, but as soon as I plugged it into my new Q6600 PC it stopped working... my personal belief is that the +4 cable that converts from 20 pin (that the old PC used to use) never worked and I didn't know this until trying to use it on the Q6600 Mobo that uses 24 pins.

Another one bites the dust.

Associate
I guess I am new member also, never thought I would see the day. ( 580 Type-r )

It's developed quite a loud buzzing/rattling sound, sometimes straight away or sometimes the PC might boot and you could be working away on it, and suddenly Buzzzzzzzzz and the system locks up. It's safe to say I shall not be using that system until it has a new PSU in it - not a Hiper one.

And no, its not my Quad core system (thank god) its an A64 & X800XT system.

Soldato
Mine died silently one night while PC was off. Was able to get it to power on for 2 seconds out side of the case after. No components were killed.

Soldato
I guess I am new member also, never thought I would see the day. ( 580 Type-r )

It's developed quite a loud buzzing/rattling sound, sometimes straight away or sometimes the PC might boot and you could be working away on it, and suddenly Buzzzzzzzzz and the system locks up. It's safe to say I shall not be using that system until it has a new PSU in it - not a Hiper one.

And no, its not my Quad core system (thank god) its an A64 & X800XT system.

Wow I ran a Hiper Type-R 580W fine on an A64, 2900XT system.

Associate
+1 smelt something funny then comp turn off, couldnt be a*** RMA, so i bought a cheapo PSU which is now 2 years old and ever since its been excellent so far :)

Soldato
No sign of problems in advance, just one day system refused to turn on! Thankfully, no other bits went to pc heaven with it and I bought a trusty (touch wood) Corsair HX620W afterwards (still in my old Opteron 165 sytem, using Coolermaster modular 620W in this new quad system).

Oh yeah, was a type-r 580W modular!

Soldato
add another 2 to the list

First one:

I went upstairs last night and i could smell that rancid odour you get when something electrical has frazzled

I noticed the pc was off and immediately i thought "i think i`ve just joined the dead hiper club" so i touched the psu and it was rather warm and the smell from it was really strong , psu totally dead :rolleyes:

I have ordered a corsair 620 for tomorrow and i hope the motherboard etc are ok
will have to RMA the Hiper and see what happens - i think it should be just within the 3 yr warranty.

Second:

I sold my dad a Hiper about a year ago that was from my backup pc which i got rid of due to it not getting used enough

he had it about 3 months and it died - typical :(

in a moment of madness he opened it up and messed about with its innards but failed to resuscitate it - basically he didnt realise it had a 3 yr warranty but had now voided it :rolleyes:

i didnt bother sending it back ...

Associate
Hahahaha!! Awesome... Was just browsing and found this thread.

Add me to the list ;D a few months ago mine blew... only managed to shatter a blade on the 80m case fan underneath, but it was hell'a scary at the time. I believe it was that Hyper model, ill have to check that, but definately a Hyper Modular.

Its still in my wardrobe smelling of burnt plastic

Last edited:
Soldato
member number of psus
Nickg 1
elfy 1
pastymuncher 1
Justintime 2
rafster 2
waveydave79 3
Solaris 1
Zefan 1
jellybeard999 1
Raymond Lin 1
dante6491 1
eggcup 1
collisster 1
sugoi 1
total 17 actually 18
blows that took components 1
still active 22

UPDATED -new members

neomax 1
millsy888 1
thanley 1
luckystrike1 4
anubis386 1
nightst@lk3r 1
slinwagh 2
mglover070588 1
teg 1
elevon 1
valerian 1
chronictank 2
xolotl 1
krooton 1
wasc 1
skyline 2
tom|Nbk unk
bluntside 1
slenpree 1
toxic 1
edgecrusher 1
pcmedicni 1
zaza
plasmoid 1
w3bbo 1
uzi 1
nikolic
firewallblocked 1
hugest_uk 1
paradigm 1
ol!ver 1
sniper unk
blue cypher 1
stigggeh 1
mrbobbins 1
raf 1
azza unk
uk james 1
nanoman 1
jimmy lazers 1
warweezil 3
kingo15 1
moshutta 1
n3x 1
amps 1
<de@thw!sh> 1
maclister 1
madmossy 1
silversurfer unk
danza 1
escape artist 1
hungryjoey 1
trifid 1
phatzy 1
utmaniac 1
jbuk 2
black adder 1

NEW TOTAL 60
TOTAL of BOTH 78
STILL ACTIVE 35

Hiper .ods doc link

Hiper .xls doc link

C&C appreciated ;) apologies for rubbish styling/capitalisation, was a quick throw together :o Also 'unk' means there was a difference a.k.a different wattage etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom