Far Cry 2 - Is It Me...

Associate
OP
Once you realise it's a pretty average game with a big area to wander about (read: get tired of travelling everywhere) in, I started to like it more. The basic gameplay is really, really, well done, imo, and it's got that Halo-style simplicity perfectly. Storm in, shoot some guys, storm out. Bish bash bosh.

The first positive response. I see where you're coming from, but I still can't buy into it. It just feels broken to me.

Associate
I to quite like it - but like others, at first did not rate it. However once you accept it for what it is it becomes far more enjoyable.

IMO the combat model and the combat experience mirrors CoD. I like the fact you can approach the situation in a variety of ways and I like the weapons. There is drive to do the missions to get money to buy weapons to do more missions with better weapons, so you can get more money to buy better kit/weapons (bit like WoW in that sense). The missions round that large green house area were ace with an initial stealth approach to take out a few guards with the knife and then running wild with a shotgun and nades to take the rest out!

I do find it compelling, I do enjoy it and would recommend it to anyone who likes FPS's. However do not expect a great/easy to follow story or a life changing experience.

Associate
I enjoyed it for a few hours - it's a very immersive environment. But the repetitiveness, respawn and insta-gunfights outside of cease fire zones dampened the experience. I put it on the shelf hoping a patch or mod will fix most of these issues.

To be honest, now that I'm neck deep in Fallout 3 I can't see myself going back to this any time soon.

Associate
It would have been better if all the check points were neutral initially and had some kind of "attitude", doing a job for one faction could make a checkpoint more friendly but upset others, sneaking into checkpoints and taking ammo and health supplies would upset them as well. This would make certain parts of the map safe for you but others dangerous. if you stopped making ammo available at the gun shop it would gradually turn most of the map against you increasing the game difficulty over time as eventually your ammo thefts would outway the balance that you could try to keep by doing faction missions.

Soldato
The game is simple... thats all that needs to be said about it

It isn't a bad game if all you want to do is shoot things and make them blow up... once u get jeeps with grenade launchers on top u can blow up an entire outpost in about 5 seconds of beautiful explosive glory... the game does have some truely nice explosions and the fire system is also very clever watching a tree burn down

other than that the driving is fun, yes the missions are simple and all pretty much the same either blow something up or kill someone... but that doesn't mean they aren't fun :)

Soldato
Must admit I do like it, the scenery/graphics are mostly superb, and although it's a long way short of what it COULD have been, its still a great laugh for a simplistic(ish) shooter with the added bonus of a flamethrower :D

Running through my 2nd character on hardcore difficulty now, picking up plenty diamonds so that I keep ahead of the game with careful weapon choices and upgrades.

Might give it a go on Infamous, but I cant see it having a lot of replay value in the future - although that could work both ways, the missions are already so "forgettable" that if I come back to it in a years time, I wont remember much except the weapons barge and storming the fort!

BIG minus point against n00bisoft for not releasing a dev kit - im not a modder myself, but I appreciate all the mods I use in Oblivion, Stalker, VTM:Bloodlines, and others.

Associate
The other disappointment for me about this game was that it shattered PC Gamer UK's credibility in my eyes. They gave this what 92%? I'd always, perhaps naively, thought they weren't as suspectible to being corrupted by publishers offering advertising etc, but I'm sorry there is no way this game was worth 92%. It's a 70% game at best.

Associate
1st mission for the weapon shop owner did it for me - Found the covoy destroyed 1 vehicle then chased them round the same damn route! If i could be bothered i could have gone round in circles all day without getting to their delivery stop!!

Perhaps they took influence from city link?

Back
Top Bottom