Far Cry 2 - Is It Me...

Soldato
The other disappointment for me about this game was that it shattered PC Gamer UK's credibility in my eyes. They gave this what 92%? I'd always, perhaps naively, thought they weren't as suspectible to being corrupted by publishers offering advertising etc, but I'm sorry there is no way this game was worth 92%. It's a 70% game at best.

Totally agree, this was supposed to be an epic free-roaming wander around Africa, with Oblivion-esque factions, wildlife, predators and big game hunting tossed in for a laugh.

Instead, we get instant respawns, factions who shoot on sight despite not knowing who you are, and a distinct lack of interesting carnivores..... :rolleyes:

92%! Shant be reading a PCG review and hoping for any truth in future. Sad really, never mind. Rather stick to users own reviews before buying stuff.

While it does have its flaws, I really enjoyed the game :)
Me too

The game is good, with new ideas like guns jamming and setting fire to the dry landscape. Got to give it some credit as doing something new in FPS games is hard to do.

It does get repetitive though, and whilst it is a fun game, I wonder why the vehicles aren't more damageable and why patrol cars catch you up in 2seconds even though I am going flat out.

Overal it is a fun game with some top graphics (at least it runs smoothly!), but I fully agree it could (with not much more effort) have been game of the year.

8/10

Last edited:
Associate
The other disappointment for me about this game was that it shattered PC Gamer UK's credibility in my eyes. They gave this what 92%? I'd always, perhaps naively, thought they weren't as suspectible to being corrupted by publishers offering advertising etc, but I'm sorry there is no way this game was worth 92%. It's a 70% game at best.

To be fair almost all the other mags and online sites gave it at least 80%. Zone gave it 90% plus.

1st mission for the weapon shop owner did it for me - Found the covoy destroyed 1 vehicle then chased them round the same damn route! If i could be bothered i could have gone round in circles all day without getting to their delivery stop!!

oh dear......:rolleyes:

Associate
Zone and Gamer are owned by the same publisher.

Oh and i dont like it much It reminds me too much of that bugged pile of poop,

Boiling Point, though I might give it another go when I get tired of Fallout3.

Soldato
1st mission for the weapon shop owner did it for me - Found the covoy destroyed 1 vehicle then chased them round the same damn route! If i could be bothered i could have gone round in circles all day without getting to their delivery stop!!

Perhaps they took influence from city link?

lol :D.

Have you ever thought about going the other way around & setting up a blockade ?

Associate
Zone and Gamer are owned by the same publisher.
QUOTE]

Very true, coincidence they gave the game by far the highest review scores?

Didn't mention any of the flaws either. PCG spent 1/2 the review talking about the amazing variety of missions, different characters etc. Don't know what they were smoking, all the characters are the same and the only difference in missions is the first one, which lasts all of 5 mins!

Soldato
Well yes, stealing an entire continent would be pretty grand.

:D

We stole it about a century ago and found it to be rather overrated. It was thus given back, and they have been beating the everliving daylights out of each other ever since.

Can't we steal Japan or something

Last edited:
Soldato
Me too

The game is good, with new ideas like guns jamming and setting fire to the dry landscape. Got to give it some credit as doing something new in FPS games is hard to do.

It does get repetitive though, and whilst it is a fun game, I wonder why the vehicles aren't more damageable and why patrol cars catch you up in 2seconds even though I am going flat out.

Overal it is a fun game with some top graphics (at least it runs smoothly!), but I fully agree it could (with not much more effort) have been game of the year.

6/10

That's spot on, but I fixed the score for you :)

Caporegime
I play it when I remember that I bought it and perhaps I should try and get my monies worth. It has some good points and equally some bad ones. How many bullets do you need to drop an enemy? Like half a mag sometimes.
If 5/10 equates to a very average game, I'd give it not much more than that. At it high point I'd give it maybe a generous 7 but at its low point I'd say around 4.

Sel

Sel

Associate
The problem is there's no surprises, yes you can roam around but I want to bump into patrols or convoys even the damn buses on the roads.

The place has no life, they shouldn't re-spawn a checkpoint unless they get off a radio message or a random patrol wanders across it.
If they do get a message sent they should re-spawn a truck or jeep some distance away and send it to the check point.

As for the malaria that works well it really does make me feel ill so ill I have to switch off and go and lie down.

Overall Dull,repetitive and unrewarding, looks nice though.
4/10 not worth playing.

Caporegime
I play it when I remember that I bought it and perhaps I should try and get my monies worth. It has some good points and equally some bad ones. How many bullets do you need to drop an enemy? Like half a mag sometimes.
If 5/10 equates to a very average game, I'd give it not much more than that. At it high point I'd give it maybe a generous 7 but at its low point I'd say around 4.

One to the head.

Or a small burst to the head from a Mac10 does it for me, while walking past them...highly accurate actually.

Soldato
The problem is there's no surprises, yes you can roam around but I want to bump into patrols or convoys even the damn buses on the roads.
It's funny, I was thinking just that about the game earlier. At the least it should have taken a leaf out of something like GTA:SA, where all sorts of events are randomised in the game, to make it appear like stuff is actually going on, like finding the factions fighting each other, or buses trundling about. And if they'd actually wanted to try, they should have properly scripted those kind of things, and mapped bus routes into the game, or put a checkpoint refill system liek you mentioned.

All that "Oooh, it's just like Africa" guff the reviews espoused fades so quickly once you scratch beyond the pretty surface.

Back
Top Bottom