[Weekend Steam Deal] S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl for £3.49

Soldato
It's a bloody good game. But you won't realise that until about 1-2 hours in after you've figured out what it is you're doing, and how you get rewarded for it.

As for the guy suggesting those who like it should post here and defend it, how about no.
I don't much care if you don't like it. For everyone who doesn't you'll find someone who does! :)

I personally found it's a brilliant game, and after years of shooters that simply involved running around restrictive tunnels (i.e. Doom 3) a real breath of fresh air.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a quick question, what are the three triangles in a purple circle on the map? It says something is hidden under the roof of the building near the bridge but i cant find anything.

It's a stash of items. Unfortunately, given it's the first stash, you would think it would be easier to actually find... but I haven't been able to either. Usually they are easier to spot, but often in badly irradiated areas.

Associate
Sometimes ceiling actually means basement, and vice versa. Couple of inaccurate translations.

I think the one it means there is in the little small part of the mill building that sticks out a bit, next to the stairs leading up on the outside. It's an artifact you have to shoot to roll it closer to pick up.

Soldato
Sometimes ceiling actually means basement, and vice versa. Couple of inaccurate translations.

I think the one it means there is in the little small part of the mill building that sticks out a bit, next to the stairs leading up on the outside. It's an artifact you have to shoot to roll it closer to pick up.

I've picked up that artifact, but the symbol remains on the map, which it shouldn't I don't think if you've cleared out the stash?

Associate
Hmm. Yeah, it could mean the one actually on the roof. I found it hard to reach. You have to get onto the roof using the steps inside the mill, then jump onto the higher section of roof. I had trouble with that since I was weighed down a lot.

Soldato
Whats happens if you fail a mission? Just tried doing one where i have to steal some documents at a scrap yard or something. I have to speak with someone but theres loads of bandits shooting at me and after a while it says mission failed :confused:.

I quit the game at that point as I'm not sure what would happen if i failed.

Associate
If it was optional (probably had a time limit) then I don't think they matter. I've failed one without anything bad happening. Not sure how it would handle failing a main plot mission.

Associate
I loved it when your starting quest base gets attacked by those army dudes. I think it might be a trigger from one of the quests but its funny seeing your NPCs trying to fend them off with their pistols and dodgy shotguns whilst they have proper hardcore rifles.

Sel

Sel

Associate
After a few days of trying to get it to boot I finally got started and I wasn't that impressed at the start but I'm plodding on and it isn't that bad. I just wish I could work out how to get the rewards after a mission, it tells me to go back and I do but nothing seems to happen.

I much prefer Crysis but Stalker is easily better than Farcry2 but so is just about anything else.

Soldato
After a few days of trying to get it to boot I finally got started and I wasn't that impressed at the start but I'm plodding on and it isn't that bad. I just wish I could work out how to get the rewards after a mission, it tells me to go back and I do but nothing seems to happen.

I much prefer Crysis but Stalker is easily better than Farcry2 but so is just about anything else.

You go back to the character you started the mission from (The Trader for example) and one of the conversation choices is something like "I'm here about the mission". That refers to the active mission for that person, and it will complete when you select it.

Sel

Sel

Associate
You go back to the character you started the mission from (The Trader for example) and one of the conversation choices is something like "I'm here about the mission". That refers to the active mission for that person, and it will complete when you select it.

Thanks I'll try that next time.

Soldato
Just a note to advise all these apparent new Stalker players, that it is a *very* good idea to wedge the door to Sidrovich's basement (where u start the game) so that it cannot shut. The easiest way to do it is to run into the gas bottles which are next to the wall, to knock one over so that it rolls to stop the door closing properly. The reason for this was there was a bug in the game that prevented you being able to open this door by pressing the action key on it, it just wouldn't open, which basically breaks the game cos you couldn't speak to Sidrovich. I think this bug was supposed to have been fixed in a patch but I would still do it regardless. I absolutely loved this game btw.

Soldato
Just a note to advise all these apparent new Stalker players, that it is a *very* good idea to wedge the door to Sidrovich's basement (where u start the game) so that it cannot shut. The easiest way to do it is to run into the gas bottles which are next to the wall, to knock one over so that it rolls to stop the door closing properly. The reason for this was there was a bug in the game that prevented you being able to open this door by pressing the action key on it, it just wouldn't open, which basically breaks the game cos you couldn't speak to Sidrovich. I think this bug was supposed to have been fixed in a patch but I would still do it regardless. I absolutely loved this game btw.

Been in and out of there a number of times and not had a problem. The copy from Steam IS patched to I believe the latest patch, so should be ok.

Associate
Anyone know where to get ammo for the Vintar? Been lugging the damn thing around for hours and haven't found one round for it yet.

You probably won't find much ammo for it until about half way through the game. Once you're past the bar you'll start picking some up, but you won't find any in the early levels. Better to stash it somewhere and just carry the guns that ammo is freely available for in the early stages.

Soldato
I bought this a week ago, but not from Steam.

I started playing it properly last night, and boy what a fantastic game it is. You really are up against it at first, with almost totally useless weaponry until the low-end assault rifles come into play.

I was playing at about 2am last night, going through the sewers after 'garbage' when I came accross a bloodsucker for the first (and so far only) time. I absolutely cacked my pants, and it took a good few blasts from the sawnoff shotgun to see it off.

I'm now at the 100 rads bar and have handed the papers to the barkeep and was trying to retrieve the family rifle (side mission), but was then interrrupted by some mercs and the sudden necessity to rescue some professor type bloke.

Damn, I love this game. So atmospheric and unpredictable - I can't remember the last time I had this much enthusiasm for a game full stop, let alone an FPS.

Back
Top Bottom