Driving in snow

Associate
Audi coped fine this morning, several inches here in Hertfordshire and the wife said it gave her no problems at all on the hilly country road drive to the stables and back. Good old, not really 4wd Haldex.

Associate
oucchhh, was looking out of my window at the snow there just as my neighbour tried to go into her drive, put on the brakes and slid slowly into the wall. went out and had a look, theres no damage thankfully. because i live in a dead end street, theres only been 2 or 3 people that have driven in here, and the snow is ridiculously thick, just no control over the car whatsoever.

Soldato
It depends on the conditions really but on slushy and generally mixed conditions leave everything switched on....
So in a 1987 Golf that would be.... the engine, the heated rear screen and the heaters :D

Driving to work was.. err.. fun. Thank god I set off at a time when no-one's on the road. Keep a HUGE distance from the person in front of you, keep in as high gear as possible except for going down a steep hill, no sudden moves and slow down by going through the gears.

I think this is the only time I will say it, but I'm thankful I don't have the 200SX today!

Man of Honour
totaly agree with the haldex posts, the misses went out about 11ish as she figured the roads would be better, after digging the car out of the on street parking space she got half an hour & about 3 miles down the road before getting stuck :(

que me merrily slinging an old carpet & shovel in the boot (totally gangster ;)) and driving out very happily to help her and annother couple of people out of various messes :D

The car was very well behaved the whole time, although the back did start stepping out a little (with esp off...) it was pretty controlable 4wheel drifts :D

Soldato
I don't see anyone dissing our "not really 4wd" Haldex systems today :)

ESP is remarkable though, I was getting bored pottering along in the country lanes at 20mph with the traction control light flickering away, so hit the ESP button. Didn't realise it also disengages the steering wheel :p Turn to the left (goes straight on), turn to the right goes straight on). Needless to say it went back on pretty sharpish.

Aye, it's pretty good indeed :) I don't think i would have made it in today with a RWD car!

Did you hold down the ESP or just press it once? On mine (TTs) pressing it once just disengages it temporarily, as soon as it starts getting out of line it kicks back in. If you hold it down it does disengage but only until you start spinning.

Soldato
First time ive ever driven in the snow, not as bad as everyone makes it out to be :/.Been none stop snowing all night and day here, couldn't see paint on any car on road this morning when i was off to work. Bout time we had some snow and not floods here!

Associate
Took my girlfriend to work this morning getting out of her street was fun, the exit is control by traffic lights which are only green for about 20 seconds. I was slipping and sliding the first attempt. Second attempt i set off in second gear.

I turned of the boost controller in the SX just to be safe as i've had it remaped at the weekend and not used to the additional power.

Soldato
hills are somewhat scary in a rwd car thats for sure, getting down them, no breaks and the back end is constantly trying to find the nearest ditch or overtake the front, going up the back end is still trying to find a ditch and you have to the fun of thinking "what if i run out of momentum" suffice to say my trip to work...eventually, was not fun

Back
Top Bottom