Any opinions on o2 broadband?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I've just signed up to the o2 access service and the last few nights my ping has been 100+.

Thinking about getting out while I can after what I've read over on thinkbroadband about the access package woes.

I can get out in the first 30 days (money back guarantee) but will they let me get a MAC code or will they only cease my service?

aaazza

Soldato
I've just signed up to the o2 access service and the last few nights my ping has been 100+.

Thinking about getting out while I can after what I've read over on thinkbroadband about the access package woes.

I can get out in the first 30 days (money back guarantee) but will they let me get a MAC code or will they only cease my service?

aaazza

They will give you a MAC code. Just phone 0800 230 0202 and ask for it and they should email it to you. I got mine within 2 hours of phoning. They should then send you a pre-paid package to send the router back to them - just take it to the post office and make sure you get proof of postage when you send it back. Also, once you have moved from O2 make sure you phone them and A) get refunded any money they have taken and B) ask them to cancel your account.
I was also on Access and my pings were 130ms to UK servers and speeds sometimes went below 1MB during peak times on a line with a downstream rate of the full 8128... since migrating I now get 12ms to UK servers and ~ 6.8MB pretty much 24/7. :)

Soldato

aaazza

definetely get out if you're in u're first 30 days m8, they'll just wait on BT to do whats needed to improve things.

Soldato
Your stats all tie in , with 60db Line attenuation, you are doing very well to get 3.6Mbps @ 8db SNR..

For you, it would be worth looking at 'SNR' Tweaking, you could probably get that upto 5Mbps, but obviously line stability may come into play.

Is that something a simple peasant like me can do? Do you know of any good easy to follow guides?

Associate
There's no limit and no throttling.
That said they will send you a letter to say "Quit it!!" if what you're doing has a negative impact on others on the line.
Though I've downloaded a few terabytes on 16mbps since I got the line 7 months ago, no complaints / letters at all :D

Soldato
My speed and pings seem to get worse towards the evening but I can live with it for the moment. I have O2 Access, there are no ADSL2+ services installed in my exchange and out of my choice of providers O2 seemed to be the cheapest (£12.50 / month), most others were £18+ a month and most had caps or traffic shaping. Either way it's much better than any of BT's services (yes, even their ADSL2 product is as crap as the ADSL Max, who would have guessed).

I don't expect any ADSL2+ services anytime soon, nowhere near enough demand:

Serves (approx):
4,135 residential premises
1,087 non-residential premises

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom