What don't you like about current generation consoles/games?

Man of Honour
Microsoft points annoy me the most - I'd rather just buy the individual item at the price it is and not buy incriments of points, and I'd rather it just be in cash rather than having to convert it into a pseudo-currency in your head to figure how much you are spending (ish).

Rich

Unfortunately, that's the exact reason they do it. Well... that and ensuring you always have a few spare points which encourages you to buy the smaller crap.

aob

aob

Associate
Some of mine as follows
  • Overhype & 10/10 review scores: I just plain don't trust high profile media anymore, games getting 10/10 and 9/10 and everyone going along with it because the game was so hyped, then realising a month later when the media frenzy has cooled down that the game blows.

• Console reliability: I know I know, but I don't care, I had to say it, 360 has been so unreliable to me personally it's something I'll remember forever about this generation.

• The introduction of DLC: while I don't feel too bad about GTA4, as it seems more like an "expansion that you download", I hate this crap coming from devs like SF4 costumes, that falls under stuff that should have been in the game but was taken out to make a quick buck. And console DLC seeping into the PC market really shocked me, "pay for downloading new maps" on my PC? what? Oh and MS forcing Valve to charge for TF2 updates/patches on the 360, what the hell.

• Paying for Xbox LIVE: I don't like it ad hope it won't be necessary next round given PSN is free, I know it's not too expensive, but if the money went towards dedicated servers or something I'd feel alittle more at ease with it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Paying for Xbox LIVE: I don't like it ad hope it won't be necessary next round given PSN is free, I know it's not too expensive, but if the money went towards dedicated servers or something I'd feel alittle more at ease with it.

Good point, I'm annoyed about paying for the service and not getting dedicated servers!

Associate
Gears 2 being broken. They should have done all the testing and fixing before the game came out. But kudos to them for fixing it unlike most devs would do.

RROD
Microsoft points
The lack of dedicated servers

XPE

XPE

Soldato
The washed out graphic.

Console reliable.

Review scores (gta4/mgs4 10/10 my ass)

Poor ports.

DLC thats on the disc !

Soldato
This generation should be called the brown generation :(

All the games use the same brown pallet that starts to get annoying.

Not just the million shades of brown, but greys and greens as well.

When it comes to much of the big budget developed titles with good so-called photo-realistic graphics, its always just the same gritty shades of these three colours, ESPECIALLY for FPS games.

Sure whilst I do enjoy many different games regardless, I tend to have more fun on quirky games with "kiddy graphics" (Nintendo DS especially), or pretty much most Japanese-developed games with their Anime-style look. I rather have my own eyes see lots of bright rainbow coloured visuals than being stuck in the drab world of the browns, greys and greens. Otherwise I may as well just be colour blind and it won't matter.

Graphics and artstyle direction is one of the most important things for me this generation and for the past few years, it has been very disappointing.

Associate
nothing wrong with the current generation of games / consoles at all.

nothing youve stated is a specific issue to this generation that wasnt to a previous generation with exception of achievements which quite frankly I like.

Soldato
Some of mine as follows
  • Overhype & 10/10 review scores: I just plain don't trust high profile media anymore, games getting 10/10 and 9/10 and everyone going along with it because the game was so hyped, then realising a month later when the media frenzy has cooled down that the game blows.

• Console reliable: I know I know, but I don't care, I had to say it, 360 has been so unreliable to me personally it's something I'll remember forever about this generation.

• The introduction of DLC: while I don't feel too bad about GTA4, as it seems more like an "expansion that you download", I hate this crap coming from devs like SF4 costumes, that falls under stuff that should have been in the game but was taken out to make a quick buck. And console DLC seeping into the PC market really shocked me, "pay for downloading new maps" on my PC? what? Oh and MS forcing Valve to charge for TF2 updates/patches on the 360, what the hell.

• Paying for Xbox LIVE: I don't like it ad hope it won't be necessary next round given PSN is free, I know it's not too expensive, but if the money went towards dedicated servers or something I'd feel alittle more at ease with it.

Brilliant points. All of which I agree with!

Associate
I think first and foremost the thing I dislike most is the fact that the xbox was originally produced with a massive flaw (RRoD), and then left with that flaw for a very long time.
Haven't got or even played a Ps3 so I can't complain about that.
The fact that you have to pay for patches in many cases is also annoying, considering for so long people on the PC were getting things like that for free.

Edit: Also having some software that allowed you to host a dedicated server on a PC would be very nice :(

Last edited:
Soldato
1) Lack of fresh, decent IPs.
2) DLC, except in the form of full games and expansion.
3) The move to make them media machines, but then not give them simple things like copying mp3 from a CD
4) Lack of decent wii games when was so much potential
5) Graphics before framerate, some games are horrendous in places!

Last edited:
Associate
Sometimes the Xbox just seems to be designed to rip people off. They could have designed the console to use any hard drive, any wireless adaptor(£50 i think it is for the MS one) and their rechargable battery pack could have used AA batteries. :/
Then there is the issue of paying for DLCs and Map packs :/:/

Soldato
Doesn't bother me that much - but they're generally not powerful enough to do HD video properly.

See all the business with sub 720p resolutions getting upscaled internally, lack of AA, screen tearing vs performance trade-offs, etc.

Soldato
tired of the same old crap getting released again and again and again!

I dont want kill kill kill destroy stomp things/people into the ground.......

im sick of it fps rts even some rpg it never changes.

i want little computer people for next gen
sigh...........how bout a plot that doesnt involve you as the hero/saviour of the planet that would be nice

Last edited:
Soldato
Try valkyria chronicles then :)

Yeah the game is technically about killing things, but it's such a unique game and the storyline is... well just great tbh, not ground breaking but a nice departure from the usual 'you are the guy that will save the world' mentality.

Back
Top Bottom