• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any new Vida GPU's coming soon???

Associate
Hi all

Does anyone know the road map for Nvidia's future GPU's??
I've been thinking about getting myself a GTX285 but I'll hold off if there's a new Dx11 compliant GTX3xx range coming out in the next few months.
I'm never sure what time of year manufactures try to get there new product ranges out for.
Cheers.;)

Soldato
It's all speculation but GT300/DX11 wont be around until end of Q3/Q4 at the earliest.

The only Nvidia card on the horizon is the single pcb GTX295.

Caporegime
won't be anything soon except rebadged existing cards. Before the "real" GT300 based cards are out expect a 395gtx, a 495, and a 595, all based on the 9800gtx somehow :p

In all seriousness, nothing soon and don't under any circumstances get the 285gtx, its simply by far the worst value gfx card available. The 275 is not particularly slower, you would never once feel the difference in a real game, and its hugely cheaper. If you were to go ati, basically the whole range is great value. Other choices on the Nvidia side are the 260, again not really much slower than the 275 and at £160 is VERY good value at the moment. Hell, even a £400 295gtx offers massively more performance than the 285 for a fairly small bump in price. Though even there 260's in sli is cheaper and very good performance.

If you listed every single card in both ATi and Nvidia's range I would easily pick the 285 as the single worst card value, and by a long way, across the entire range.

Caporegime
The GTX260 at £150 or the 48701GB at ~£160 are the sweet spot without doubt, most can o/c the 55nm GTX260 to 280/285 speeds.

yup, I might just be tempted to add the 4980 Asus cards in, if/when we get decent idea of how they overclock. AFAIK both Asus versions have software that lets you bump the voltage by a decent chunk, if both can hit say 1Ghz, hell, even 1.1Ghz maybe with watercooling or a really big air cooler that extra speed might be worth the £30, or maybe if the 4890 price comes down even further.

but anything over £200 for a single gpu card is not going to be good value, dual gpu cards aren't necessarily cheaper or better than 2 single gpu cards, but they aren't bad value.

I really can't see why anyone buys the 285, or why Nvidia haven't dropped its price.

Soldato
Apart from GT300, there's a good chance Nvidia will release a couple low-end 40nm parts before then (because they're really going to chance their high end halo part with a production node they've never used before, right?).

Soldato
my question is when will nvidia stop making cards that are over 10.5" in bloody length, they are a pain to fit in a lot of chassis, why the hell are the cards so big when ATI manage to keep the majority a respectable size. (mATX user :p)

Associate
Would a new 275 be a good upgrade from a single 8800GT 512MB? I play Crysis, Left4 Dead, COD4, Far Cry 2 etc on 1680x1050 and its been a while since a worthwhile upgrade came out. Thanks, I'd like to see a boost!

Soldato
If you are on a budget it is not really worth considering any single GPU card above the GTX260 or 4870 1GB. For a little more performance you pay much more money. Neither the GTX275/285 or the 4890 are noticeably quicker in anything other than benchmarks (and even then only by 10% or so).

Back
Top Bottom