Quick Frequency question

Associate
Hi, i just got a new Samsung t220 and im wondering if theres a way to force higher (esp horizonal) frequencies in lower resolutions. Im playing a few FPS games in 640 and 800, however the horizontal frequency seems to really suffer running at these resolutions. Once upto and above 1024, they both seem to be equal (75). Is this just a property of TFT's or is there a way to force the monitor to run 75/75 at lower resolutions?

Sorry if that makes no sense, this is my first TFT!

Cheers

Soldato
not sure how accurate this is, but i read somewhere the human eye doesn't notice any difference at above 72hz, and 72hz is the most comfortable for the eye?

Man of Honour
Most TFTs operate at 60Hz anyhow - some will accept a 75Hz signal but not actually display it as 75Hz. There are a few that do actually display 75Hz but I don't know which off hand.

Man of Honour
not sure how accurate this is, but i read somewhere the human eye doesn't notice any difference at above 72hz, and 72hz is the most comfortable for the eye?

Not very accurate... you can't limit the eye to a specific frequency or framerate as different parts are sensitive to different things.

Associate
OP
Im not too bothered about going above 75hz as i know most TFT's wont do this anyway, its the difference between the horizontal and vertical frequencies at lower resolutions. For example, Counterstrike 1.6 @ 640x480 has a vertical frequency of 75, however the horizontal frequency is 30, which makes for a very odd playing experience indeed. The same happens at 800x600, however the horizontal frequency is 50. Once upto 1024, both horizontal and vertical frequencies are equal (75) which is fine. Im just confused as to whether i need to force the frequencies at lower resolutions or is it just a property (or drawback) of TFT's.

Soldato
Not very accurate... you can't limit the eye to a specific frequency or framerate as different parts are sensitive to different things.

but there must be a certain point where higher makes no difference?
surely the eye can only see so many fps before it cant keep up?

Man of Honour
The eye is sensitive to different things in different ways - i.e. it can detect a flash of light in darkness that only lasts 1/200th of a second, but when your not interactively involved in something can be fooled by motion at quite low update rates.

Back
Top Bottom