OMG how good is the Zalman CNPS9500A-LED CPU Cooler

Soldato
I would like to just say I am amazed at how well this cooler runs and at such a low price.

A bit of history first.

I have had my system set up for some time consisting of the following:
E6600 with Tuniq Tower 120
ASUS Rampage Forumla X48 Mobo
BFG 8800GTX
4 * 1GB OCZ Platinum DDR2 800
Coolermaster Power M1000 PSU
2 * DVD Burners
1 * XBOX 360 HD-DVD Drive
3 * 74GB Raptors
2 * 1TB Samsung Drives
2 * WD 500GB (1 hot swap)
2 * Icy Dock 5 Bay hot swap enclosures
1 * Akasa Amber 120mm Fan
1 * Akasa 80mm multi led fan
Razor Tarantula K/b
Logitech MX1000 mouse
Hyundai 24" monitor

All enclosed in my Coolermaster Stacker STC 101 w/ side window.

Now the core of this system has stayed the same for quite some time but the volume of noise being generated from the fans was starting to get too much and also decided that the tuniq was not doing a decent job cooling my cpu at low fan speed levels so due to one of my razor k/b's (used for work) had a fault I decided to pop over to OcUK and sort out my cooling once and for all while leaving the kb for testing.

As part of my trip I got the:

Zalman CNPS9500A-LED CPU Cooler
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 800 RPM - 3 Pin
Xilence XPF80R Red Wing 80mm Quiet Fan

And am I glad I got these products.

After having a complete clean up of the system, it's amazing how much dust gets generated around the fans :D

I fitted the new parts (cooler was a bit of a tight squeeze) and fired the system up and have to say I was more than pleasently supprised and worried when I heard close to no fan noise from the system.

I had to double check the system to make sure everything was spinning up correctly.

Now my temps are much better cpu is around 44C with the cooler running at 1300 rpm lowest speed and the mobo which always seemed to be running too hot is now a cool 39C with NB @ 49C when previously everything was running a lot hotter with the previous cooling averages were 49/55/60 (CPU/MB/NB)

Now it seems the loudest thing in my case is the psu fan (other than when the hdd's are being accessed) which is more than acceptable as it isn't too loud compared to what it was previously.

So I would like to say thank you OcUK for making this cooler an absolute bargin and if anyone is in the market for a quality cooler at a bargin price you won't go far wrong with this.

I think I may have to start OC'ing my system again to see what sort of performance I can get out of it. :p

Soldato
I have had my system set up for some time consisting of the following:
E6600 with Tuniq Tower 120...

As part of my trip I got the:

Zalman CNPS9500A-LED CPU Cooler...

Now my temps are much better cpu is around 44C with the cooler running at 1300 rpm lowest speed

That's very impressive/encouraging considering the gargantuan cooler it replaced.

Is the 44C an idle or load temp?

I have an Akasa AK-965 with a bolt-thru-kit which is letting my clock down – at first I thought it was a result of the summer, then I thought it was the pushpins creating a poor contact with the MB (so bought a bolt-thru kit). And now I’m thinking it’s just a poor contact between the two surfaces (CPU/HS) – which is easily rectified with a new HS (if not i'll lap both).

Your review has made me take a closer look at this funky looking HS as i originally thought it had more style than substance – especially at its original price. But, from reading user reviews it seems to be doing a very good job and the figure of 8 heatpipe is an interesting design with obvious benefits.

I wasn't going to spend any more on this rig until i upgraded and bastardised this rig into a HTPC (or NAS) - but at £13 I think I may put one in my basket and see if I can get this CPU finally up to 4GHz.

Thanks for the synopsis.

Soldato
OP
44C is idle and running the 2M Super PI on both cores pushes the temp to 48/49C which too me is more than acceptable given the past cooler I was using.

I thought given that it was £13 I would give it a try and I am glad I did.

I have used zalman products before my dad still has a zalman flower cooler (CNPS7500) I think on his old skt 478 p4 which is still going strong after 5+ years.

As I said the fit was very difficult due to the size of the mounting bracket and the passive heatpipes the ramage has but i managed to get it fitted with a little wiggling and also partially clipping the hs and mounting bracket to one side before putting it in the final position. I will try and take some photos to show how tight the fit is.

Soldato
44C is idle and running the 2M Super PI on both cores pushes the temp to 48/49C which too me is more than acceptable given the past cooler I was using.

It's the load temps that are important, and 49C is a great result - especially if you're still using the fan on its lowest setting?

As I said the fit was very difficult due to the size of the mounting bracket and the passive heatpipes the ramage has but i managed to get it fitted with a little wiggling and also partially clipping the hs and mounting bracket to one side before putting it in the final position. I will try and take some photos to show how tight the fit is

Thanks for the added info – I’ve looked closely at my MB and I may have problems fitting that bracket. I will study your pics with interest if you do decide to put any up.

Additional: I've just taken my case side off and my temps have dropped 10 degrees - so i think a congested case is more my problem (5 HDD's are not conducive to good airflow.). This dramatic change didn’t show itself in the summer – so I may be better off waiting and purchasing a better designed case and larger drives when I upgrade. (or if i can muster up the enthusiasm i'll lap the CPU.)

It’s still very tempting as it’s a funky design – but I would have to strip the rig down ‘again’ to fit it (different bracket) and I’m not sure it will give me the desired results now i know my airflow is a major issue. (I may just buy it to have a look.)

JonJ678 said:
I'm temped myself and I have no computer to put it in.

That doesn't surprise me knowing your love for cast copper ;)

Has your polish friend finished machining your copper equivalent of the 'die cast top'? (i'll be posting on the other thread soon as i have a few Ubuntu questions - as i've finally got round to installing it. It's not very impressed with ATi - and i need to find a way to reduce the fan speed but it didn't like the alternative drivers...)

Soldato
[ZiiP]carrot;14890668 said:
Any one know if they're making a 1156 clip support kit for this, seeing as they did one for the 1366 lot?

They were pretty quick to release a 'Socket 1366 Clip Support Kit for CNPS9500' so it wouldn't surprise me if they were thinking of doing the same for the 1156.

Your best bet would be to e-mail them directly as there is no extra information on their webiste.

Soldato
I will post some images tonight when I get back from work.

Thanks - it will be interesting to see one in situ.

I'm hoping that the bracket will have enough height to sit over the caps (it appears to have been designed with that in mind.) But, i have a feeling that my NB may be too close for the orientation i would use.

Soldato
OP
As promised some pics. Sorry for the poor quality pics will try and get some better ones done tomorrow:

Main Case Image
0ee07e79.jpg

Overview of mobo with hs&f
926b4d7b.jpg

close up of heat pipe and cpu bracket (left)
12680fd7.jpg

close up of heat pipe and cpu bracket (right)
776f6a5e.jpg

close up of heat pipe and cpu bracket (back)
e3d45dd0.jpg

close up of memory and cpu bracket (front)
85ad5d43.jpg

When I said a tight squeeze I meant it there was very little room for moving this thing. At one stage I thought it was never going to fit.

also a few screen shots of current temps.

System at Idle
144bc766.jpg

System after running 2M super PI
90d57d02.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i'm still experimenting with the case fans at the moment as I plan to have another 2 xilence red wing fans at the top of the case (from the second psu placement) either pulling cold air in or drawing the hot air out.

Soldato
As promised some pics. Sorry for the poor quality pics will try and get some better ones done tomorrow:

Thanks, your pics have helped a lot - it's appreciated. On inspection, I don't think i would have any issues fitting that onto my MB.

I'll order one and use it as a desk ornament until i can be bothered to take my rig apart again. I think i'll buy some wet & dry in readiness and lap both the CPU and HS as i would like to see at least a 10 degree drop in total.

Back
Top Bottom