Which 42" Plasma to go for??

Caporegime
Right am getting my sky hd put in tommorrow so need to replace the 32" LG LCD that i have in my front room...its an ok TV but really not that great.

Now my front room...from where ill be sitting its around 6-7' foot so i would think a 42" tv should be fine??.

So ive been looking at panasonic plasmas and also the Samsung LCDS/plasmas but cant figure out which will be the best for me...not looking to spend a stupid amount on the tv.

Like i said it will be used for sky hd and sd viewing plus blu ray as well....so any recommendations as to what i should go for??.

Soldato
Just got myself a 42X10 and have to say I am very happy with it indeed!

I'm only using for SD stuff at the moment and am amazed at how good the picture is!!

Caporegime
OP
Cheers guys i was looking at the 42X10 actually and it looks pretty good from reading reviews...although the 42G10 is slightly more expensive but looks pretty good from the reviews too.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Budget?

Panasonic G10, G15 or V10 would be my choice which puts it at a cost of around 800, 900 and 1100 I think?

Caporegime
OP
Budget?

Panasonic G10, G15 or V10 would be my choice which puts it at a cost of around 800, 900 and 1100 I think?

Looking at around £1k max i suppose...better if i can get it cheaper tho:p

Just had a look and saw the 42G10 going for about £700 odd quid which is cheaper than Comets or Currys who are doing them for £900 i think.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Looking at around £1k max i suppose...better if i can get it cheaper tho:p

Just had a look and saw the 42G10 going for about £700 odd quid which is cheaper than Comets or Currys who are doing them for £900 i think.

I'd definitely (probably) go for a G series Panasonic then.

Caporegime
OP
Well i ordered the Panasonic TXP42G15B 42" plasma screen...got it for about £850 as i convinced the guy to give me a discount...sadly they are out of stock till next week.

Was blown away by the picture quality on both SD and HD so as i got my sky hd installed today...i think it will go very well with the HD.

Cannot wait and it looks like a stunning plasma...only difference between the G10 and G15 is the G15 has 600hz whereas the G10 only does 100hz...and from what i saw of both screens the G15 looked much better.

Soldato
g15 also has viera cast iirc ? so you can connect a ethernet to it and stream stuff from youtube, eurosport, and picasa, with widgets for weather, and stocks?shares.

its also dlna certified, so you put an sd card in the side and watch divx films on it :D.

Associate
Caporegime
OP
Whats the 600hz / 100hz difference you are referring to?

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...ts/displayResult.html?p=TX-P42G15&p=TX-P42G10

The only differences I see between the G15 and G10 are:

Lan Port
Deep Colour
+1 HDMI
VIERA Cast
DLNA & DivX

According to the place i got it from thats what they said...cant put the url as they are competitors i think...they sell laptops and other pc computing bits.

Anyhow doesnt matter i saw the screen and was impressed enough by it...plus it has 4 hdmi ports rather than the 3 that they G10 comes with...always handy for future upgrades etc

Last edited:
Soldato
they both have 600hz according to the panasonic website.

the only annoying thing with the hdmi ports is only 1 @ 2 auto switch 3 @ 4 don't which seems stupid.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
According to the place i got it from thats what they said...cant put the url as they are competitors i think...they sell laptops and other pc computing bits.

Anyhow doesnt matter i saw the screen and was impressed enough by it...plus it has 4 hdmi ports rather than the 3 that they G10 comes with...always handy for future upgrades etc

He's wrong :p

The 600hz gimmick is on all the Neo-DP panels, and it is just a gimmick, ignore it.

As said with the G15 over the G10 the main things you get are a different looking screen, i.e. the chassis/casing is different (a bit thinner I think) and the lan port that's DLNA certified so it can stream stuff and has the Viera Cast stuff.

Soldato
How does the Panasonic 42S compare the X10 and the G10 as it seems to fall between the two in that it has a full HD screen unlike the X range, but the specs are less than on that of the G range?

Soldato
How does the Panasonic 42S compare the X10 and the G10 as it seems to fall between the two in that it has a full HD screen unlike the X range, but the specs are less than on that of the G range?

Basically... the G10 has the latest Neo-DP panel (Brighter and more efficient) and FreeSat, whereas the S10 doesn't.

Soldato
Seeing as the X10 seems to get good reviews (albeit for a panel that is fairly old), does the S10 compare well with it apart from the fact that is just has a higher resolution?

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Look at the LG42LH5000 LCD.

We had a Philips Plasma, and just changed it to the LG, and it's much lighter and less glare on bright days. The blacks look black, and the 200Hz technology works great, don't see any blurr

4 x HDMI
2 Scart
1 x Component
USB for movies on memory stick/HDD

all for £700 as well.

Back
Top Bottom