• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

nVidia GT300 - GeForce GTX 380 yields are sub-30%

Associate
I want more then just leaked rumours to take nvidia seriously though and when they release something of substance then i might pay attention but bland "it's going to be faster then the 5870" makes me think they are just trying to put people off buying without commiting themselves to a damn thing.

Soldato
This is not good for any of us, including nVidia (for which it's very, veeeeeery bad). We need decent competition to ATi dammit, gotta keep those prices down!

Very good point.

If the one doesn't have competition, they can charge more... and can be more lazy when it comes to better drives/bug fixing.

:(

Soldato
DirectX 11 - Not Important

Nvidia Corp. said during a conference for financial analysts that the emergence of next-generation DirectX 11 application programming interface will not drive sales of graphics cards. The firm believes that general purpose computing on graphics processing units (GPGPU) as well as its proprietary tools and emergence of software taking advantage of these technologies will be a better driver for sales of graphics boards than new demanding video games and high-end cards.

“DirectX 11 by itself is not going be the defining reason to buy a new GPU. It will be one of the reasons. This is why Microsoft is in work with the industry to allow more freedom and more creativity in how you build content, which is always good, and the new features in DirectX 11 are going to allow people to do that. But that no longer is the only reason, we believe, consumers would want to invest in a GPU,” said Mike Hard, vice president of investor relations at Nvidia, at Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference on Wednesday.

Nvidia believes that special-purpose software that relies on GPGPU technologies will drive people to upgrade their graphics processing units (GPUs), not advanced visual effects in future video games or increased raw performance of DirectX 11-compliant graphics processors.
“Now, we know, people are doing a lot in the area of video, people are going to do more and more in the area of photography… I think that the things we are doing would allow the GPU to be a co-processor to the CPU and deliver better user experience, better battery life and make that computers little bit more optimized,” added Mr. Hara.
I think we are the same crossroad with the graphics world: framerate and resolution are nice, but today they are very high and going from 120fps to 125fps is not going to fundamentally change end-user experience. But I think the things that we are doing with Stereo 3D Vision, PhysX, about making the games more immersive, more playable is beyond framerates and resolutions. Nvidia will show with the next-generation GPUs that the compute side is now becoming more important that the graphics side,” concluded Mr. Hara.

Oh dear.

Last edited:
Associate
i wish one would come and buy the fab i work in, it's been here 50 years and is closing in a month. I like my job and want to keep it :(.

The equipment will be key to the new processes, your always limited is what size transistors you can make based apon your kit. Being able to print several million transistors across an 8 inch silicon wafer requires extreme precision and enviromental control, as it gets smaller it's going to get a lot harder t achieve higher yields (defects being a big issues).

Man of Honour
Sooo basically they are gonna throw their resources into taking a hatchet to DX11... I hope people aren't so naive to think "microsoft won't let it happen"...

Soldato
I guess that means GT300 really is in trouble. Well at least we now know have they intend to respond to RV870. Keep selling old tech and make the most of marketing 'proprietary technologies'. Abandon DX11 altogether, shrink and re-brand G200.

Last edited:
Soldato
what the hell are nvidia on? they are acting as if they don't care about graphics/framerates when they know full well that's what always advances and for good reason.

are they not going to have DX11 in their new cards?, if not how can they say they expect their new cards to be faster than ATI's? maybe in DX9 and 10 but not 11 titles.

So the news about them making pretty much built from the ground up cards is a joke.

Soldato
I was hoping to go with nVidia again, because the 5870's seem to lack performance in the games that nvidia exceed in like UT3 and some others, so it's not just those games affected if others use the same engine.

Unless drivers can fix that, i doubt it though.

Associate
Sooo basically they are gonna throw their resources into taking a hatchet to DX11... I hope people aren't so naive to think "microsoft won't let it happen"...

All the OEM buyers telling them to GTFO and picking up parts that let them market PC's (no matter how crappy) as DX11 might make them think twice. As we all know, that is where the big money is made. Anyway, DX11 is already here, so it is too late for the big green hatchet.

If you say that DX11 does not matter enough times, you might even convince yourself.

Soldato
it's all a load of ********.............get the 5870 X2

If this new GT300 wont have DX11......then this makes a cut price MARS a good buy, but it'd have to drop a hell of a long way..hang around, it's actually getting more expensive :eek::eek::eek:

no forget that :D:D............let's wait and see

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia believes that special-purpose software that relies on GPGPU technologies will drive people to upgrade their graphics processing units (GPUs), not advanced visual effects in future video games or increased raw performance of DirectX 11-compliant graphics processors.

what a load of bull.yes some will buy a card for gpgpu and that might improve in the near future but for now most will get a card for games.
I thought this might happen as the direction they were taking with gpgpu but it still might be a killer card we need to wait and see.

Associate
i wish one would come and buy the fab i work in, it's been here 50 years and is closing in a month. I like my job and want to keep it :(.

Sorry to hear that, I worked in the cheney manor fab in the early 90s.

If only the government had invested half the money they gave the bankers into industry...

Good luck.

Associate
what a load of bull.yes some will buy a card for gpgpu and that might improve in the near future but for now most will get a card for games.
I thought this might happen as the direction they were taking with gpgpu but it still might be a killer card we need to wait and see.

+2 a lot if not all of us buy graphics cards to just play games, what else is there to do with them anyway apart from some special features...which are used in games as well.

Associate
Don't worry, Nvidia's new GPUs will have dx11 compliancy. They're temporarily downplaying the importance of dx11 in a feeble attempt to downplay the release of the ATI 5800 series.

Just wait, when the GT300 cards are finally released, they'll be bragging about a superior dx11 implementation i.e. "dx11 done right" or some other equally defaming campaign.

Associate
That statement from nvidia is quite worrying and if that is the mindset the company has then they are in serious trouble also says a lot about their belief in a dx11 g3xx card which they have been working on and that statement seems to confirm it isn't going very well at all.

Soldato
The more I read into things, the more I feel that nvidia is more concerned with the GPGPU market than they are with the traditional video market, at least right now. Scientific computation and modelling software is slowly being adapted to GPGPU technology, and the potential for growth in this field is immense. I feel that nvidia are more concerned with creating a viable competitor for larabee than for AMDs gaming cards.

It does make some sense I suppose... The growth of GPGPU products is exponential right now, whereas the PC video card market isn't far off flat. Nvidia have already established themselves in the PC video market, having a good relationship with OEMs and having established themselves as the market leader in the minds of casual gamers (TWIMTBP etc). A second consecutive "win" for ATI (with the 4800 and 5800 series) will erode this, but only slowly. They will retain a good market share for the next couple of years, even with inferior products.

When the next-gen consoles are announced, we will no doubt see nvidia and ATI fighting for contracts once again. It's a fair bet that one will build the hardware for MS, whereas the other will build the hardware for Sony.

Anyway, I think these are very interesting times :)

Back
Top Bottom