Anybody at or going to Surrey University?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Looks like I'm going back to school :cool:

Well for four weeks, anyway.

Is anybody who frequents these boards there? What's it like? I'm there from 28th September and hopefully got accomodation on campus, is that Fresher's week or has that been and gone already?

Edit: Forgot question mark in title. Some education I got huh? :p

Soldato
I'm starting uni at Surrey on the 26th, studying chemistry. :)

Edit - Freshers week will be around that time, starts on the 27th I believe, you'll need to get a ticket from the SU website to get into most of the evening events though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
What are you going to study?
Engineering doctorate in sustainability of high performance materials.

I'm starting uni at Surrey on the 26th, studying chemistry. :)

Edit - Freshers week will be around that time, starts on the 27th I believe, you'll need to get a ticket from the SU website to get into most of the evening events though.
Cool, so I expect nothing much will get done in the first week :D

Soldato
I hope so! As far as I know it's just freshers stuff and some induction/that sort of stuff during that week, nothing too serious.

Associate
I'm in final year at Surrey. Term begins on 5th Oct (freshers the week before). But freshers week is 27th - 3rd website says. Hope that helps.

For more info ----> www.ussu.co.uk

Never found the fresher's week astounding or anything, but maybe thats just me being a grumpy dissertation laden final year :p

Edit: Shameless plug, anyone going to surrey should take part in the 6-a-side league each semester.

Last edited:
Soldato
I visted it once. Not a bad place. What are you going to study? Apparently my University is part of Surrey - Roehampton. :confused:

Indeed it is.

All Roehampton graduation etc. is done at Surrey, not 100% on the reason for affiliation but basically you lot go over to Surrey for big events.

I know as I would sit there being bored in the office watching people in their grad gowns. :p

I found it was nice uni, most stuff you need is on the main campus (including halls, all of them are a small staggering distance from the SU and a not too bad stagger from town), but there is also the Research Park campus but that focuses mostly on medical stuff.

I worked there for a year, so don't know what it's like for students, but it's currently having a massive overhaul of the library (extending it quite a bit) and has a fair amount of decent lecturing equipment so there are no rooms with just a white board or chalk board, all are projectors and computers etc.

Oh and it's FULL of pretty people. ;)

-westy- informed me of this before I started work there just over a year ago...I didn't believe him...first day there I was like :eek: and said I see what he meant...that was before the students were about as well! :D

Soldato
I went to Surrey between 1999 and 2003, doing physics.

Fresher's week used to be around 4th - 10th September, so you've probably missed it. I could be wrong though. :)

If you're a post-grad, you'll probably be in the post-grad accommodation they were building just before I left. It's supposed to be pretty nice. University Court and Twyford Court were the places everyone wanted to stay when I was there as they had en-suite facilities.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
A doctorate in four weeks? :eek: :p
No, it's 4 years overall. Most of it is based with a company, only a small bit every couple of months is actually at the university.
If you're a post-grad, you'll probably be in the post-grad accommodation they were building just before I left. It's supposed to be pretty nice. University Court and Twyford Court were the places everyone wanted to stay when I was there as they had en-suite facilities.
Mmm sounds like it might be quite nice then :)

Associate
I found it was nice uni, most stuff you need is on the main campus (including halls, all of them are a small staggering distance from the SU and a not too bad stagger from town), but there is also the Research Park campus but that focuses mostly on medical stuff.

Slowly they are forming the manor park campus near the research park with a lot of accommodation now and the new sports park. Give it a 5 or 10 years and most of the accommodation will probably be there. Bulldozing the Varsity too!

Back
Top Bottom