Water hammer problems.

Soldato
Hi,

We are having a few problems with water hammer in my house. When a tap/toilet/etc stops suddenly you get water hammer for a few seconds afterwards. I have heard about being able to fit things to prevent it, does anyone have any experience with this?

Caporegime
Hi,

We are having a few problems with water hammer in my house. When a tap/toilet/etc stops suddenly you get water hammer for a few seconds afterwards. I have heard about being able to fit things to prevent it, does anyone have any experience with this?

Hot or cold taps, or both?

Do you have any pumps installed for the water system?

Soldato

Don't try this if you have a combi boiler though (not that you'd be able to, you'd just get wet trying).

Usually it is just an airlock, but if it persists you may have a dead leg of pipe somewhere (a bit of unused pipe which has been capped off/isolated but still joined onto the water pipes) with air trapped in it somewhere.

The thing you heard about fitting is a mini expansion vessel. Imagine a balloon (which fills with the water) surrounded by a pocket of air which is under pressure. When you turn the tap off, the pressure will expand the balloon into the air instead of having nowhere to go and causing the water hammer.

Start with trying to clear the air out first though..

Back
Top Bottom