Car Suggestions 13k Max

Soldato
Hi Guys, I had an initial plan of buying an M3 CSL but decided to cut my budget and use the rest of the money elsewhere. So by the end of the year Im going to be in the market for a new car. The current shortlist is as follows:

BMW E46 M3
Ive always wanted an M3 and its an obvious choice for me. Only concerns are finding a nice facelift example for 13k with all the right options.

Renault Clio V6 255
Another car I have always aspired to own (since owning a 172). Negatives would be only have 2 seats, cheap build quality. Apart from that I could live with the image etc.

Subaru Impreza WRX STI (Hawkeye)
Previously owned a bugeye STI and it was definitely the most fun car I have ever owned, I would have no problems owning another, but it would have to be the hawkeye version.

Nissan 350Z
Very tempting big engined RWD car. Had a quick go in one and from the outlay it was great, but again, only 2 seats (I like to have the option to carry more than 1 extra person, plus interior space). Also, this is a almost a moot point, I have 3 friends who already own these, which makes me want to go for something different to the crowd.

Apart from those 4 Im having trouble thinking what else is out there for me to take into consideration, apart from an Evo, I test drove one not so long ago and it just didnt give me the buzz an Impreza does. Im not a VTEC fan either.
Any other suggestions? Cheers :)

Soldato
OP
Hmm thought of the Focus ST? You could get a nice example for that money.

I did, but Ive sold my ST220 and dont fancy another Ford, unless its the new RS! Plus the running costs of the ST are very similar to the Impreza and IMO the Impreza is a much better car. Plus I dont fancy FWD, just RWD or 4WD :)

Man of Honour
Pretty much just the rear lights really - nothing to write home about. It didnt get the other modifications the Coupe got. There are some minor interior differences as well.

Soldato
I know, I know........

If you wanted oddball you could go for a C5 Corvette, you'd get a 6 speed in your price range or an automatic if you wanted (you'll have to hunt down a 6 speeder though, rather than just find one at the drop of a hat like an auto).

Pros : 345BHP and 350ft.lb, sub 5 second to 60, excellent economy for its class, class-leading storage space for a 2-seater, climate, cruise, electric everything, cheap insurance, extremely cheap servicing, unlimited potential, etc...

Cons : LHD, lesser quality materials used in interior than say, an "equivalent" Porsche/Ferrari/BMW - but on the flipside, slighty unfair comparison as different class altogether. Only two seats.

jj_03.jpg

Chevrolet-Corvette_C5_1997_1280x-1.jpg

sideprofile.jpg

jj_01.jpg

IMG_7939-800.jpg

C5_Corvette___Above_it_all_by_Immer.jpg

z06newwheels.jpg

IMG_8052-800.jpg

IMG_7955.jpg

Chevrolet-Corvette_C5_1997_1280x960.jpg

Poor selection of shots but in a rush this morning!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;14967377 said:
Pretty much just the rear lights really - nothing to write home about. It didnt get the other modifications the Coupe got. There are some minor interior differences as well.

Maybe I could save some money by going prefacelift and adding the rear lights at a later date. Im more concerned about the condition, number of owners etc than having a facelift model if there are no significant changes.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
The Clio would be great to own, but not sure how long the kind of novelty would wear off, if at all. I'd still be tempted thought :)

Can never really go wrong with an Impreza too, but as said you've already had one of those.

Nissan is a decent car with a cracking engine.

If you can push the budget up, or get lucky and find a decent one, then get the M3 though :p

Soldato
Of your selection it'd be the M3. If you want monumental running costs then a Maseratti 3200 comes in budget now I think or else perhaps an early Monaro, which I assume has reasonable running costs (fuel aside) for such a big engine.

Soldato
That corvette interior is Nasty with a capital N

Interior's actually a very nice snug cockpit (having driven one) and a great place to be, as you'd expect from a sports car. Supportive seats, nice steering wheel, excellently weighted controls, all the gadgets you'd expect - including heads up display - but yea, certainly more 'budget' internally than equivalents but like I said, it costs a fraction of stuff in the same performance bracket and there's no real direct comparison bang for buck - the fact that interior fit and finish costs are cut is just a requirement of the market and price range it sits in :)

Better when it's not all in black :)

2614067697_eb4c55fdf7.jpg

C6 interior is much improved over the C5, however, but that's out of this budget! :)

Back
Top Bottom