Scrappage Scam Extended

Man of Honour
To the joy of middle class people everywhere, who can continue to trade in third cars for brand new cars (Because lets face it, skint people who run a banger because its all they can afford cannot afford a new car even with scrappage), the scrappage scam has been extended. Your tax money can continue to save people who fancy a brand new Korean car money! Excellent news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8278679.stm

Also good to hear is that you can now scrap cars made in 2000 under the scheme so if you are sick of that banger of a Ferrari 360 or your V plate Toyota Celica, perhaps that shonky old Honda S2000, you to can force it to be scrapped.

Did anyone see this weeks Autocar? 2 page spread on the cars being scrapped under scrappage. They included:

Mint condition 1997 Mercedes E320 with 80k miles
Mercedes CLK320
Mk4 Golf
20k mile Honda Civic ESi
18k mile Rover 800 on a T plate - the last made.

Numerous other mint perfectly serviceable cars.

Sigh.

Hyundai will be happy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's the 1930's all over again. It's false and unsustainable - there are only so many stupid people to use the scrappage scheme. That brick walls still coming.

Soldato
TBH if someone walked into a Dealership and tried to scrap a 6k S2000, the dealer would probbably just give them 2k out their own pocket and sell the S2000 surely?

This scheme is self funding anyway, how much VAT is there on a 7k car?

Soldato
Surely this is driving the price of used cars up...therefore making it more expensive for first time drivers?

*shakes head in disbelief*

Caporegime
Makes me sad

sad20face.jpg

Surely this is driving the price of used cars up...therefore making it more expensive for first time drivers?

*shakes head in disbelief*

It's doing exactly that, before the scheme I'd be lucky to get £800 for my Fiesta, now I am seeing similar cars to mine go for upwards of £1,000.

Soldato
A friend of mine (female) just came out of uni, got a job (entry level lab work) and her parents encouraged her to scrap her fiesta (nothing wrong with it) and buy a Iyo or Ayo (crummy little box on wheels) as it was a newer car and free on road tax.

I don't know how much debt she is in, but I did slap my forehead in disbelief.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14983477 said:
To the joy of middle class people everywhere, who can continue to trade in third cars for brand new cars (Because lets face it, skint people who run a banger because its all they can afford cannot afford a new car even with scrappage), the scrappage scam has been extended. Your tax money can continue to save people who fancy a brand new Korean car money! Excellent news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8278679.stm

Also good to hear is that you can now scrap cars made in 2000 under the scheme so if you are sick of that banger of a Ferrari 360 or your V plate Toyota Celica, perhaps that shonky old Honda S2000, you to can force it to be scrapped.

Did anyone see this weeks Autocar? 2 page spread on the cars being scrapped under scrappage. They included:

Mint condition 1997 Mercedes E320 with 80k miles
Mercedes CLK320
Mk4 Golf
20k mile Honda Civic ESi
18k mile Rover 800 on a T plate - the last made.

Numerous other mint perfectly serviceable cars.

Sigh.

Hyundai will be happy.

What is also worrying is that Haymarket are fully behind the scheme and of the opinion that British taxpayers money going towards the foreign car manufacturers is better than doing nothing at all.

Caporegime
A friend of mine (female) just came out of uni, got a job (entry level lab work) and her parents encouraged her to scrap her fiesta (nothing wrong with it) and buy a Iyo or Ayo (crummy little box on wheels) as it was a newer car and free on road tax.

I don't know how much debt she is in, but I did slap my forehead in disbelief.

£7000 of debt to save £120 a year on tax, that makes sense to me. It'll only take 58 years to get the savings back on tax :D

Soldato
Worst of all, this scheme is just producing an artificial spike in demand. The instant it ends car sales will fall through the floor again and we're back to square one.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Seeing some of the classics fall to this is just attrocious.

Mint Mini Sportspack with no rust. Okay not that rare but worth so much more
TVR S series. A rare car that just should NOT have been scrapped.

Permabanned
The more government creates false "recovery" the worse the market will be when the lifeline is removed.

Same thing is happening with the general economy with quantatative easing. As soon as it stops, the house of cards falls again.

Hardly any of this money pumped into thi scheme is going into our economy.
The only reason the stupid government is doing it, is so every month they can broadcast that car sales are increasing, and they have saved us all, so we vote for them.

Anyone actually know that the most powerful country in the european union has a new prime minister? The BBC has decided that it isn't important enough, and is concentrating on increasing house price instead. This country is a ****ing joke.

Caporegime
Its simple economics for simple people. If they own a car worth less than £2000 they can trade it in for £2000.

And lets be honest, people who buy brand new euro boxes buy them beceause they are 'a car'. So the fact you consider something they have to be quite nice, to them its nothing more than 'a car', and they can get more than its value to buy another 'a car'.

And seen as your never going to be one of those people who trade in your 10 year old mint condition BMW for a brand new Fiesta, just be thankfull that this scheme atleast means your local BMW dealer is still in business to provide you with your annual services.

Man of Honour
Whilst cleaning my car at the weekend, my (nosey) neighbour came over and asked when I was going to scrap in the car for a new one.

It was hard to keep a straight face.

Soldato
My 10 year old Focus is running faultlessly (apart from being in need of a replacement air-con condenser), returning an average of 40MPG and passed it's last emissions test with no problem. Guess I'd better help save the planet by binning a perfectly serviceable car and getting a brand new diesel.

Oh, wait...

Back
Top Bottom