Speaker Problems :(

Soldato
Got a bit of a problem with my speaker in the clio at the minute.

I have a set of comps in the front and a sub in the boot which run off an amp, which supplies 60w rms to comps and 120w to the sub.

Now i also have a set of 4" coaxes in the back of the car, which run off the headunit at 50w rms.

The problem i have is whenever i have all of them plugged in and turn the volume above 30(i need to as my phone is quiet :p) i get lots of static noise and distortion from the rear speakers.

now when i run just the rear speakers by themselves i dont have this problem. Is it possible my clio just doesnt have enough power? :(

Associate
Right.... lets sort this one out for you. Your Clio has plenty of Ummmfff for that lot dont worry.

Can you confirm for me,

Are your 4" Coaxs on the parcel shelf?
Is the parcel shelf standard or is it custom?

Often you can have issues like yours if on standard shelf, you find that the air generated from the sub (in your case when its above 30 volume) pushes your coax speakers out sounding like you have static.

Soldato
OP
They are to the side of the parcel shelf, in speaker holes which renault put in the car but never filled with speakers

If it is the air, would it be worth trying to build a box of some sort around them to stop the air flow from the sub pushing them more than needed?

Associate
They are to the side of the parcel shelf, in speaker holes which renault put in the car but never filled with speakers

If it is the air, would it be worth trying to build a box of some sort around them to stop the air flow from the sub pushing them more than needed?

Yes i would try that, Or if its in standard Renault speaker holders just pack the bottoms out with cloth to try it first :)
In my experience you will soon know if you are struggerling for power as your car lights will DIM dramatically! :p

Try that with the speakers first. :D

Associate
Would eletrical tape bound around the speaker stop most of the air? or am i just being a *****? :D

*****! :p

Just try the cloth idea as you will immediately if it is that, once you know its the SUB air then you can make/fashion a more permanent fixture

Its all about the UNDERSIDE of your 4" COAXES in the back. Stop air pressure getting to them and your sound quality will increase :)

Soldato
OP
Right did the ***** job and the volume will go to 40 without distortion now, will see about getting some wood on friday and doing it properly, just have to work out how i will do it :p

Associate
Right did the ***** job and the volume will go to 40 without distortion now, will see about getting some wood on friday and doing it properly, just have to work out how i will do it :p

There we go ;)

Big tip coming up !! - What ever you do make sure you use MDF !! It has no frequency and will not vibrate :)

Now you need to go and buy 1/4" Power cable, run this down teh left side of your car with inline fuse.
1/4" Earth cable down the right with your remote cable
Gold plated RCA down the centre into boot :)

You will get some sweet sounds :)

Soldato
OP
Earth runs from the amp to a grounding point in the boot so i aint running it back down the car again ;)

And the RCA cables are good enough at the momment, considering i have a shoddy amp :D

Soldato
Now you need to go and buy 1/4" Power cable, run this down teh left side of your car with inline fuse.
1/4" Earth cable down the right with your remote cable
Gold plated RCA down the centre into boot :)

I have RCA's down one side, power and remote down the other and speaker cable through the centre from my amp to my front speakers.

Is your way better than what I've done and if it is where do I put the speaker cable?

Associate
I have RCA's down one side, power and remote down the other and speaker cable through the centre from my amp to my front speakers.

Is your way better than what I've done and if it is where do I put the speaker cable?

Hi, No its not better, I have just always been advised to split the cables up, which you have done so all gravy :D

Back
Top Bottom