£600-700 gaming rig, all good?

Associate
Hi there,

I'm going to be building a new rig after Christmas and I'm looking for some advice. My PC is generally used for programming (D3D/games deving mainly), gaming (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. being a favourite, would also like to play Crysis 2 when its released), music and DVDs, image editing, and Linux (to compile new builds of my operating system). My monitor runs at 1680x1050 max, and frankly for gaming I don't think I need anything more, however I will be using my computer to watch movies on a TV at some point, so its got to handle that. Hopefully that'll give you an idea of what I want out of my system.

I'd prefer to be closer to the £600 mark than £700, and where possible would like to use black PCBs to give a unified look to the PC (half the fun of a PC is it looking cool ;))

My list currently looks like this...
PSU - Be Quiet! (650w)
GPU - nVidia 275 (Sparkle)
CPU - i5 750
Mobo - MSI P55
RAM - G.Skill Ripsaw (4gb)
Fan - Coolermaster Hyper TX3
HDD - Samsung F3
Case - Thermaltake Tsnuami which costs £72 (but unfortunatly isn't sold here).

In total (at time of posting) thats £683.96

So with that, is there anything there that should/could be changed, also will the PSU handle that rig and a (hopefully) 4GHz overclock?

All advice welcome.

Last edited:

RJC

RJC

Don
spec looks good, couple of things I would change is the Hard drive to the Samsung F3 and perhaps a different case, had the Thermaltake a few years ago and did not rate it much. But above are personal choices.

Associate
OP
Cheers for replies guys.

@RJC: Any reason for the change in HDD? I've never really been that concerned about them in the past so I don't really know advantages of one over the other. (But of course I'm willing to learn :p)

Also, I decided on the Tsnumi as its the only case I've found to date which I like the look of, its either that or I make my own (which I'm willing to do if needs be).

@Superewza: In light of what Temi_D said, is that fan going to be suitable? Also the mobo, is black out of the question?

@Temi_D: I heard the Freezer 7 Pro was a good fan and that the i5 didn't output that much heat?

Associate
I thought i saw somewhere that you were going to overclock it to 4GHz:confused: The freezer is perfect if its going to be at stock speed, maybe a slight overclock too:D

RJC

RJC

Don
Cheers for replies guys.

@RJC: Any reason for the change in HDD? I've never really been that concerned about them in the past so I don't really know advantages of one over the other. (But of course I'm willing to learn :p)

Looking at some reviews they seem fairly good in performance stakes, I'm running the F1 in my machine and my parents without any problems.

Associate
OP
I thought i saw somewhere that you were going to overclock it to 4GHz:confused:

I did at the end of my first post.

Ok, so with those changes I've brought the price down to close to what I was planning on spending on a Core 2 build, so all in all not bad.

So 650w is enough to power the entire system and a good overclock at load? I want to make certain because the PSU is one of those places I'm not willing to make cut backs.

And for the mobo, I've not changed yet because I'm still after a black one if possible, but I have noted that blue mobo in case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom