Hi all, just a question

Associate
Sup all !

Ok, this might be a noob question, but I know stuff about PC'S but i'm no expert :D

Anyway,

What is the difference for games, with the Intel i7 920, compared to the i7 975?

I have the 920 at 3.8 ghz, but would the 975 give me more fps in games? Or, not saying i'm gonna buy it, just want to learn a few more stuff about the differences ;)

Also, what the hell is the difference between like, £70 ram, and the £200, does the better one give you more fps in games or is it better for certain things?

Anyway, any help will be appreciated, sorry if they are noob questions.

Thanks!

Associate
975 is a overclocked 920 with an unlocked multiplier for ez overclocks.

Your 3.8GHz 920 will outperform a 975 at stock. Unless you're trying to break overclocking world records, the 920 is the choice of winners.

Higher priced RAM offers a guarantee it will work at faster clocks / lower timings and hence will make more memory bandwidth available.

More bandwidth is only useful though if you don't have enough and this is rare even with slower DDR2 kits. Again, faster kits can help with insane overclocks but dont give much performance boost by themselves.

You may see 0-5 fps in games at best!

Whereas that extra £100 on a gpu will see considerable gains!

Associate
OP
975 is a overclocked 920 with an unlocked multiplier for ez overclocks.

Your 3.8GHz 920 will outperform a 975 at stock. Unless you're trying to break overclocking world records, the 920 is the choice of winners.

Higher priced RAM offers a guarantee it will work at faster clocks / lower timings and hence will make more memory bandwidth available.

More bandwidth is only useful though if you don't have enough and this is rare even with slower DDR2 kits. Again, faster kits can help with insane overclocks but dont give much performance boost by themselves.

You may see 0-5 fps in games at best!

Whereas that extra £100 on a gpu will see considerable gains!

Ah, cheers man ^^, Well, 5 fps for spending a lot of money isnt worth it really :D I thought that my 3.8 ghz would have outperformed the 975 at stock aswel, and I don't know how to overclock anyway, so wouldnt spend money on the 975 just to overclock it loadddds.

Thanks for help!

Back
Top Bottom