Should I sell my 40D to pick up a 5D?

Caporegime
Hey guys,

I'm contemplating the above. I don't know the technical comparison between the two. All I know is one is full frame, the other is a crop.

Ideally I want a 5D2, but due to a lack of a job that's currently not doable :(

So I'm thinking of doing the above, thoughts?

I'd sell my Sigma 10-20 as well as that wouldn't work on a full frame properly (and have the 17-40 anyway)

Soldato
what sort of stuff do you shoot most?

the 5D will have better IQ but feel slower and slightly sluggish in comparison

great for portrait, still life, weddings, landscapes etc

if you do mainly sport and wildlife, macro then you might want faster fps and AF

Caporegime
OP
what sort of stuff do you shoot most?

the 5D will have better IQ but feel slower and slightly sluggish in comparison

great for portrait, still life, weddings, landscapes etc

To be honest, these days its portraits and people more and more. Occasional bit of motorsport, but that's rare really.

olv

olv

Soldato
So hiring a lens in 2 months time for £33 is totally impossible but upgrading from a camera worth £450 to one worth £900 is possible? wtf?

Caporegime
OP
So hiring a lens in 2 months time for £33 is totally impossible but upgrading from a camera worth £450 to one worth £900 is possible? wtf?

Sell the 40D for about £450 - Sigma for about £300 - Plus I've got some money coming my way in the next couple of weeks to cover the difference.

Caporegime
OP
what other lenses do you have?

17-40L
Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon 55-200 - This would go, I actually never use it, it's not worth much as its crap but it is a good first telephoto for people who are just learning :)

If I did this my next task would be to sell a kidney or something to get a 24-70 2.8 asap.

Soldato
sounds like a plan, though im not sure what kidneys go for these days ..:D

im guessing if you hunt around you should be able to pick up a bargain 5D now

and if you can afford it, i say go for it.

Caporegime
OP
sounds like a plan, though im not sure what kidneys go for these days ..:D

im guessing if you hunt around you should be able to pick up a bargain 5D now

and if you can afford it, i say go for it.

I could probably get one for around the £800 mark...

Then again, something tells me to hang on till I have a job then sell the 40D and Sigma and use that to contribute to a 5d2....as I the equipment I have works perfectly fine.

Soldato
You always seem to be short of money. For example you couldn't even afford to hire a lens :eek:

I see no reason to replace the 40d, as it taking the images you want.

Save your money and at some point next year change to the 5dmk2 when you have the money to pay for a new one.

Why do you want the older 5d? It seems more and more people getting 5d's, do you want to fit in with the crowd?

Soldato
I've just emailed a certain man in Scotland for an updated price list :o

I'd be better off getting a 24-70 2.8 first. As when I do get a full frame (either a 5d or 5d2) it'll be the perfect mate for it :D

that will cost more than a 5D ..... and you wont be able to sell your 40D first to finance it, so not sure how you would do that

either way, it sounds like you are having budget troubles.

so im not going to suggest to buy anything if you cant afford too.

Caporegime
OP
that will cost more than a 5D .....

either way, it sounds like you are having budget troubles.

so im not going to suggest to buy anything if you cant afford too.

lol I know it will. But it does seem like the more sensible thing to do. I'm in no rush to do anything, and perfectly happy to wait until I've got a job. This thread was mainly to see what I could do with what I can afford now by chopping and changing. Whilst a 5d would be great and is doable, theres no point having it if I don't have the lens to compliment it!

olv

olv

Soldato

Excuse me but the guy's logic is flawed. Just two days ago, £33 to hire a lens that would make a huge impact on his photos for a wedding was not possible. How he's considering an upgrade to a camera that will cost him about around £100.

Recommending expensive upgrades to people who can't afford it happens all too regularly on photography forums and I'm sure a large number of people get convinced into spending a lot more money that they are really comfortable with.

And now there's talk of a £1000 L lens. Just LOL...

Caporegime
OP

Have you actually read my posts in this thread?

I've said a few times I'm perfectly happy waiting until I have a job, and this thread was made to see what I could do with what I already have by chopping and changing. £33 for a one off which will have no financial benefit to me I don't justify. £100 for something which I will have until I decide to sell and will help my photography a lot and could very well end up paying for itself if I start doing paid work I can justify.

Back
Top Bottom