James Buckley to play teenage Del Boy

Caporegime
The cast for the workingly-titled Sex, Drugs & Rock'n'Chips has been announced - and it's a very exciting mix.

Telling the Only Fools and Horses backstory will be Inbetweeners star James Buckley as a teenage Del Boy, while Nicholas Lyndhurst will return to Peckham, this time as Freddie 'The Frog' Robdal - an 'art connoisseur' with more than a passing resemblance to the future Rodney Trotter.

"Sex, Drugs & Rock'n'Chips hurtles us into the rough and unglamorous world of London in 1960 to discover the circumstances that led to Del and Rodney Trotter turning out the way they did," said writer John Sullivan.

Centering on the relationships between Joan, Reg, safe-cracker Freddie and teenage Del, it picks up the Trotter story in 1960, as Joan Trotter (Peckham's answer to Brigitte Bardot) is not-so-happily married to bone-idle Reg and mother to a teenage son, Derek. But the reappearance of Freddie Robdal, fresh from a ten year stay as a guest of Her Majesty, is set to ruffle some feathers in the Trotter household...

Other cast announced include Kellie Bright and Shaun Dingwall as Trotter parents Joan and Reg, Phil Daniels as Del's granddad, and Robert Dawes as Joan's sleazy boss.

We haven't yet learned who will be playing the teenage Boycie, Trigger, Denzil and Roy Slater - but we do know they'll be in it.

Shooting begins this Monday, and we'll try to get on set to snap some behind-the-scenes photos for the blog, so stay tuned!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/comedy/2009/10/inbetweeners-james-buckley-teenage-del-boy.shtml

FFS. :(

Soldato
I cannot understand the love affair the british population has with only fools and horses.
It has a handful, JUST a handful of funny moments from its many, many series.
Yet people lapped it up.

Soldato
I cannot understand the love affair the british population has with only fools and horses.
It has a handful, JUST a handful of funny moments from its many, many series.
Yet people lapped it up.
It's because it transcended being 'just' a sitcom thanks to John Sullivan's scripts, and the flawless acting of pretty much everyone in front of the cameras. David Jason, in his usual brilliant way, pulled so much warmth from a character that would have been a two-dimensional hapless wide-boy in the hands of pretty much anyone else.

Speaking of which - just a handful?! Del falling through the bar top, The chandeliers, the hang-glider, the beardy French village, the weeping statue of the Virgin Mary, the glowing spring water, the strippergram policewoman, the self-inflating love-dolls, the supermarket hostages, the luminous statue and the rare butterfly [same episode?] the gold chain scam, Boycie's adopted son, the auction room, batman and robin, the re-directed aeroplanes, the screaming reliant robin chase, the seance above the Nag's Head... that's more than your two hands right there, and I could go on.

Don't confuse over-shown with unfunny ;)

Having said all that, OFAH should have ended with the watch episode - the three following episodes were ill-advised, and I reckon this'll be exactly the same, sadly. But I welcome another dip into the OFAH world, so I'll be watching it anyway.

Soldato
It's because it transcended being 'just' a sitcom thanks to John Sullivan's scripts, and the flawless acting of pretty much everyone in front of the cameras. David Jason, in his usual brilliant way, pulled so much warmth from a character that would have been a two-dimensional hapless wide-boy in the hands of pretty much anyone else.

Speaking of which - just a handful?! Del falling through the bar top, The chandeliers, the hang-glider, the beardy French village, the weeping statue of the Virgin Mary, the glowing spring water, the strippergram policewoman, the self-inflating love-dolls, the supermarket hostages, the luminous statue and the rare butterfly [same episode?] the gold chain scam, Boycie's adopted son, the auction room, batman and robin, the re-directed aeroplanes, the screaming reliant robin chase, the seance above the Nag's Head... that's more than your two hands right there, and I could go on.

Don't confuse over-shown with unfunny ;)

Having said all that, OFAH should have ended with the watch episode - the three following episodes were ill-advised, and I reckon this'll be exactly the same, sadly. But I welcome another dip into the OFAH world, so I'll be watching it anyway.

Unfunny.
Never found it funny, and Comedy is one of my favorite forms of entertainment, I love comedy, I adore comedy.
Only Fools and Horses, not funny.
David Jason, brilliant actor, just not funny in only Fools and Horses.

Soldato
Unfunny.
Never found it funny, and Comedy is one of my favorite forms of entertainment, I love comedy, I adore comedy [...]
Hah - I bet comedy is one of my more favoriter forms of entertainment than yours! I'll wager you didn't sell your soul to the devil three hundred years ago just to gain the immortality required to watch all three series of ITV's Full House like I did. Now that's loving comedy.

Nah, fair enough - we're all tickled by different things. I'm sure there are many people who think Little Britain and The Catherine Tate Show are the height of comedy, and who am I to tell them they're wrong?

EDIT: Tom0 - yeah, you would say that :D Is your sig taken from the poker game episode?

Last edited:
Caporegime
I find it weird that lyndhurst is so keen to do the freddie the frog role, last i heard they were trying to make some new episodes of only fools and the sticking point was he didn't want to be in it anymore. :confused:

Soldato
He doesn't look like a young del-boy!
Good grief, Trevor McDonald would be a better fit than that arrogant looking ****

It's Minder all over again!

Soldato

Steward lee is awesome, especially him remarking on william wallace "Braveheart" :D.

in all honesty, No one can replace david jason, it's like nobody can replace John cleese from MP, it just wont work. However I'll watch it and just get into the mindset where I might be able to enjoy it.

Instead of extending old classics, cant they invent new ones?

Back
Top Bottom