Virgin Media 10Mb fibre optic, how fast ?

Soldato
Hello,

I am trying to find out how fast 10Mb fibre optic will be from Virgin Media.

Can anyone help me out ?

I am on Sky and it says 8Mb, i sync at 5Mb and download from web sites around 100K/sec i think.

I just want to know what 10MB fibre optic means in actual download speeds from web sites :)

Thanks Ben

Caporegime
It should run at the headline speed, i.e. 10Mbps. Feel free to convert that yourself - Google will even do it for you...

It isn't fibre optic though, that's just marketing crap.

Soldato
I had about 1 megabyte/second downloads on 10mb Virgin last year. But the throttling kicks in pretty sharpish, so don't expect to do a lot of downloading at that speed.

Associate

lcg

lcg

Associate
I'm on Virgin Media 10Mb, and am also in Nottingham.

I just did a speed test,

582698787.png

I did a speed test the other week, at night, and it was 2.25Mb/s down and 0.47Mb/s up. The download speed can vary considerably, due to throttling.

In terms of speed from websites, I downloaded Microsoft Office 2010 Technical Preview earlier, direct from Microsoft, and it was downloading from between about 350KB/s to 880KB/s.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get the full 10Mb/s, any time of day. Don't worry about throttling too much, just do any big downloads overnight and you'll never even know it exists.

Between 10am and 3pm you can download 3GB before being throttled to 2.5MB/s which resets at 3pm. 3pm to 4pm is unlimited, and then 4pm to 10pm is a 1.5GB limit before being throttled to 2.5MB/s which resets at 10pm.

Soldato
I think we have fiber optics in our house. There big thick wires which you cant bend too much.

I get a pretty consistant 20meg speed on mine. Of course it depends on how able the source/server can feed you.

Cant complain too much about being throttled even the throttled speed is fast, you still get decent pings. Its better than having a neighbour hogging all the bandwith.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Fibre Optic up to the node , then coax upto your door , it would be impractical to do a fibre splice and supply laser equipment to every household :rolleyes:

I know it would be mate, thats why it's generally accepted the FTTC is the way that broadband will go. I've met several people who think they are getting FTTH though.

I like Virgin despite the harsh capping policy. At least they can pretty much near guarentee they will give you the speed you pay for!

Man of Honour
I think we have fiber optics in our house. There big thick wires which you cant bend too much.

That is coaxial cable (copper wire inside thick shielding around it). The fiber cable runs underground from Virgin to the green box in the end of your street :)

Caporegime
Fibre Optic up to the node , then coax upto your door , it would be impractical to do a fibre splice and supply laser equipment to every household :rolleyes:

You should tell that to the likes of Verizon or BT Wholesale (who have had an FTTP trial going on for a while) then.

I know it would be mate, thats why it's generally accepted the FTTC is the way that broadband will go.

FTTC doesn't generally use a shared coax segment attached to the end of the fibre though.

Whether it's coax or not, it's not accurate to call it "fibre optic broadband" - if BT refused to take on customers with a loop length >1km you'd have a service that was technically pretty similar.

Soldato
That is coaxial cable (copper wire inside thick shielding around it). The fiber cable runs underground from Virgin to the green box in the end of your street :)

Oh right, so it shouldnt matter too much If I bend it(I probably wont though).

Back
Top Bottom