Stock i7 860 cooler - worth replacing?

Permabanned
To answer your question , Yes without doubt the stock needs to be replaced.

Its just a matter of what you want and how far you want to go with it. The two coolers you linked are decent enough. They will show an improvement for sure. However they mainly gained there reputation on the previous core 2 quad series. Cant comment how good they are with the much hotter i7 range. Especially if your looking for high clocks. But they will be good for 3.6ghz i think its fair to say.

I do agree with HybridX , the second release of the H50 with the 1156 bracket will be shipped in a few weeks. Its a bit dearer than most but for me a great new development to cooling. Especially if you want high clocks as this is tried and tested with the i7 series and is up with the best.

McT

Associate
I would like to know why not one of you have taken note of the fact that he said that he doesn't plan on overclocking :confused::D

Is it really worth the extra expense of a new cooler for a system that will only be used at stock, i don't think so...

Soldato
I would like to know why not one of you have taken note of the fact that he said that he doesn't plan on overclocking :confused::D

Is it really worth the extra expense of a new cooler for a system that will only be used at stock, i don't think so...

Hehe, I was about to mention that. You definitely won't need a new cooler if you won't overclock. They wouldn't give you a stock cooler than wasn't capable of handling stock speeds.

That said though, I would recommend overclocking and getting an aftermarket cooler. It's free/cheap performance.

Soldato
I dunno, If I was gonna spend £200+ on a CPU, I wouldn't mind buying a £14 cooler to keep it cooler and quieter than the stock cooler (even if not overclocking). Also, it lets you buy the OEM chip instead and save some money.

Of course, it also gives you the headroom to try out some overclocking at some point in the future.

Back
Top Bottom