Starting electric guitar.

Permabanned
Hello guys.

Been meaning to start up the guitar for some time now, and I saw a begginer electric guitar on the cheap, so I thought I'd pick it up. It's nothing special by any means, but I guess it'll do me as a begginer. It's a Yamaha 012, came with an amp, only £40. New strings also, although I don't think it's tuned. But I don't have the first clue about tuning.

I know there's a lot of e-books out there, would I really need lessons or can you learn on your own?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
Get yourself a tuner as there is no way you can expect to do this by ear. It took me a couple of years just to be able to get it roughly right.

The tuning you're looking for is:

E (string nearest to you - thickest)
A
D
G
B
e (string furthest from you - thinest / high note)

Enjoy. :)

Permabanned
OP
Nice one mate. Really helpful! How much would a decent tuner cost? And are they hard to use? I can't really find online tutorials, the online ones seem to be when you're doing it by ear.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
You can get little battery-operated ones which you can plug into your guitar with a jack-lead. Some of them are really fiddly but once you get the idea, it's simple. Just turn them on, plug them in and pluck a string - it should flash up some letter - tune until you get the string where you want it.

Permabanned
While you can't get it right by ear in terms of EADGBe exactly, you can still get every string in tune relative to the rest of the strings.

Step 1. Tune the low E (6th) string ( the thickest one ) to a known accurate reference note like an electronic tuner or an electric piano.
Step 2. Tune the open A (5th) string ( 2nd thickest ), by comparing it to the A note found at the fifth fret of the Low E (6th) string.
Step 3. Tune the open D (4th) string by comparing it to the D note found at the 5th fret of the A (5th) string.
Step 4. Tune the open G (3rd) string by comparing it to the G note found at the 5th fret of the D string.
Step 5. Tune the open B (2nd) string by comparing it to the B note found at the 4th fret of the G string.
Note: This string is tuned to the 4th fret on the G string instead of the 5th fret. This is different than all of the other strings.
Step 6. Tune the open High E (1st) string ( thinnest ), by comparing it to the E note found at the 5th fret of the B (2nd) string.

Or, the best way to get a tuner for free is to download the Guitar Rig 4 PC software, it's an amp and guitar effect modelling software where you can plug your guitar in to your PC via its soundcard.

The Guitar Rig 4 demo is fully functioning but can only be used for 30 minutes at a time, but it includes a fully functioning tuner with it.

http://co.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=gr4demo

I'm currently an owner of guitar rig 3, I bought two but I got to upgrade to 3 for no cost as there was a grace period for a free upgrade and I'll be moving to 4 when I've got the monies spare.

Last edited:
Permabanned
As for learning, I'd go and study some Paul Gilbert lessons on youtube.

Paul Gilbert is the best guitar teacher I've ever seen, explains everything in a way that's extremely easy to understand.

Most people just shred for 10 minutes then say "now you try".

Permabanned
OP
Permabanned
Something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-ELECT...ries?hash=item35a3dfdde9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

And how would I go about plugging it in to the back of my sound card with the jack? I'd need some sort of converter?

Yeah all you need is a quarter inch to eighth inch converter.

Which looks like this: http://www.onheadphones.com/images/...dapter-review/large/Radio Shack Adaptor_3.jpg

Or, I'd recommend that you use an alternative adaptor, which is basically converting the opposite:

http://www.americanmusical.com/ProductImages/Large/p22014.jpg

Using the second adapter, you should then use an 1/8 each cable that'll be able to plug straight in to your sound card, then into the adapter which will be in your guitar.

I've used both methods and there's no difference sound wise, so the thinner cable is adequate.

Permabanned
OP
Cheers mate. I'm just trying to get used to only the basic cords at the moment, seems fairly easy though, just need to get my finger placement right as I'm usually touching other strings!

Guitar tabs look very confusing!

Soldato
Cheers mate. I'm just trying to get used to only the basic cords at the moment, seems fairly easy though, just need to get my finger placement right as I'm usually touching other strings!

Get lessons, they are fairely cheap and will make it a lot easier to get a hold of the basics, I have very little experience and have only been playing for about 6 months, had lessons for the past 2 and have learnt a hell of a lot

I actualy only just bourght my own guitar after borrowing a friends, it's awesome by the way, a Yamaha APX500.

Having someone to say "no, thats wrong, do it like THIS" from the start helps so much, otherwise you will get into bad habbits like I did, i.e trying to learn how to do bar chords by my self and positioning my hand completely wrong.

Also, the following books: Music Theory Workbook for Guitar vol 1 and 2

I was given them but they don't cost much, having the theory to back up what you are playing is very nice, and it is something you can learn alone for the most part. They are not what you could call "fun" and at first seem like a lot of hard work, LOADS of exercises I'm using them because I want to understand music better, rather than just play it, so for me they are brilliant.

Last edited:
Soldato
unless you want to mosh and roll

bum tsh? :D

Another vote for lessons here, I started 4 yrs ago with lessons, got fed up with my teacher so went self taught for the rest. Then I hit a rough spot after learning countless Metallica songs except the solos :(

Its the motovation to actually practice more for the next lesson so you don't look like a plonker is what I find best about having them.

Caporegime

Guitar tabs look very confusing!
You might do well to learn bar chords too - it will help build the strength in your fingers :).

Associate
Dont get too technical. Keep your stumming pattern fluid. Learn something easy that you like....American Idiot (or anything by green day really) or Teen spirit. Play along to the track and keep in time. There is plenty of time to learn Harmonic Minor scales

Permabanned
Why would you recommend Paul Gilbert lessons to somebody who is just starting the electric guitar? Totally unsuitable.

Because he talks about the basics and fundamentals that everyone should learn.

He IS a guitar teacher, notice that I said lessons and not "go look at Paul Gilbert stuff and try to copy it."

I'm guessing you've not looked at many Paul Gilbert lessons then?

As I was a beginner, I found Paul Gilbert lessons extremely useful and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom