Justify a custom loop

Associate
I have followed the corsair H50 threads closely, and for £60 i like the look of it.

Now i can build the same, IE Swiftech Apogee GTZ (LGA775) Waterblock.

Swiftech Laing D5 Vario MCP655 12V DC Pump.

Black Ice GT Xtreme 240 Radiator.

£190 total price.

After these purchases i still need to buy tubing, coolant, and other fittings.

So for all of those people who continually recommend a custom loop, please
justify your claims, and convince me why £200 plus to cool a cpu is better than £60.

It would have to be a lot better than 5c.

Soldato
It costs moremoney?:D

Seriously though it seems quite ludicrous to me to disregard temperatures when talking about cooling, how else can you judge it? Also that custom loop has the possibility of expansion, just add in a graphics block for instance.

I agree that you are getting diminishing returns for your money, but that is true of most things in life past a certain point.

Associate
OP
It costs moremoney?:D

Seriously though it seems quite ludicrous to me to disregard temperatures when talking about cooling, how else can you judge it? Also that custom loop has the possibility of expansion, just add in a graphics block for instance.

I agree that you are getting diminishing returns for your money, but that is true of most things in life past a certain point.

You misunderstand..........i am not disreguarding temps, i am just being cautious where really small temps are gained.

So no one is going to disagree with my price comparison then.

Soldato
You've specified a 240 radiator instead of a 120, superior waterblock and far superior pump. Of course it costs more. Corsair have done this as cheaply as possible because they're after the air coolers.

If you don't want water, don't use it. It's quieter and cooler than the H50, how much cooler and quieter depends on how you set it up. I think this thread is a wind up.

Also, your sig should at least use WWIII or WW3 instead of WW111.

Associate
How about a ten degree drop? I went from a 42c to 32c. The big difference is the 42c was at stock clock speed, The 32c is at 4.4Ghz overclock, both idling. Running Prime95 now I get a top temp of 59c.....with a room temp of 22c

I also have to say £190 is a bit steep for what you list, more like £170. and if you want cheaper, then don't go for the Gucci stuff. There's a lot cheaper kit which does the job just as well. But if you want the name, you pay for it but you could knock a lot off that price.

Finally, I can sit and listen to film, music, games whatever......even silence if I wish becuase I don't have fans going nineteen to the dozen. Even on prime95, and an overclock, the fans don't go over 25%

My first post, so hello to all. I also think this thread is a windup!!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You've specified a 240 radiator instead of a 120, superior waterblock and far superior pump. Of course it costs more. Corsair have done this as cheaply as possible because they're after the air coolers.

If you don't want water, don't use it. It's quieter and cooler than the H50, how much cooler and quieter depends on how you set it up. I think this thread is a wind up.

Also, your sig should at least use WWIII or WW3 instead of WW111.

Ho yea of little faith.

How sad that you are such a cynic, even tho i have noticed this before with your posts.

I have posted the better parts because i have researched water cooling my 775 when the GTZ came on the market, so i know it is the best etc.
It is a good job i didn't include the xchanger rad then.

Soldato
You're deliberately comparing high end watercooling to an air cooling substitute, and challenging us to say why the better option costs more? Whatever for?

The corsair is cheaper. Well noticed. It's also non user serviceable, can only cool a processor, needs two high speed fans to perform well and still only just breaks even with air cooling. Custom water is user servicable, can cool anything that gets hot, can run passively or with any combination of fans, and absolutely flattens air cooling in performance. You've picked 5 degrees out of the air, and we have no idea what qualifies in your mind as sufficient improvement. So yes, I 'cynically' think you're taking the ****. Care to show otherwise?

Welcome to the forums ferrantek, the threads aren't all like this :)

Associate
OP
How about a ten degree drop? I went from a 42c to 32c. The big difference is the 42c was at stock clock speed, The 32c is at 4.4Ghz overclock, both idling. Running Prime95 now I get a top temp of 59c.....with a room temp of 22c

I also have to say £190 is a bit steep for what you list, more like £170. and if you want cheaper, then don't go for the Gucci stuff. There's a lot cheaper kit which does the job just as well. But if you want the name, you pay for it but you could knock a lot off that price.

Finally, I can sit and listen to film, music, games whatever......even silence if I wish becuase I don't have fans going nineteen to the dozen. Even on prime95, and an overclock, the fans don't go over 25%

My first post, so hello to all. I also think this thread is a windup!!

Hi, nice to introduce you on my thread, another cynic.

Why a wind up?

All i am asking is, is a custom cpu loop worth all that extra cash.
I said £190....... ok you said £170..........£60 for a H50 seems like a great deal to me, but i must admit i have read conflicting reports on the web, performance wise.

Maybe you and jon think it is a windup because i ask noob questions.

I have not water cooled yet.

Soldato
Now who's cynical.

The corsair costs £60 ish. It performs as well as an air cooler, and costs the same. So the arguments for and against air coolers apply to it.

Water costs anything from £100 to silly numbers. It performs far better than air cooling. It always has done.

How then is this thread any different to the normal air vs water, which invariably ends with 'of course it costs more, it's far better'?

It evaporates to the atmosphere, same as where everything else evaporates to?

Associate
OP
Now who's cynical.

The corsair costs £60 ish. It performs as well as an air cooler, and costs the same. So the arguments for and against air coolers apply to it.

Water costs anything from £100 to silly numbers. It performs far better than air cooling. It always has done.

How then is this thread any different to the normal air vs water, which invariably ends with 'of course it costs more, it's far better'?

It evaporates to the atmosphere, same as where everything else evaporates to?

But it has a 2 year guarentee.

I could make a closed loop with the high end parts that i have suggested, but i dont see how to stop evaporation.

Soldato
You don't stop evaporation. Ever. One of my main objections to the H50 is that the liquid inside will evaporate and you can't replace it. When water evaporates out of a normal loop you just pour some more in.

So it will probably be good for 2 years. I've got a TRUE here, nothing to go wrong with it. I reasonably expect it to last forever. Does this not rather ruin the argument that the corsair has a really long 2 year warranty?

Closed loop systems are harder to assemble than you might expect.

Soldato
All i am asking is, is a custom cpu loop worth all that extra cash.
I said £190....... ok you said £170..........£60 for a H50 seems like a great deal to me, but i must admit i have read conflicting reports on the web, performance wise.

The conclusive answer is : It depends.

I agree that the H50 is a great bit of kit, its very easy to use, not too expensive and gives cooling performance comparable to high-end air. It also gives you bragging rights to say "my PC is liquid cooled".

But it all depends on what you specifically need/want and are prepared to pay. For example, this rather decent little cooler is only £14. Looking at its performance, the H50 certainly doesn't perform 4 times as well as the prices may suggest. So one could say that buying a H50 is crazy and not worth it. However, as we know, for cooling an overclocked i7 it does a great job - and to many people is well worth the extra money.

The situation is similar with custom watercooling. If you want/need the (much) improved cooling, flexibility and expandability, quietness and unique aesthetic of a custom watercooled system, then it is worth it and you should be happy to pay the premium for it. However, if you don't want these things and/or don't have the money, they you would be much better with the H50 (or even the Coolermaster TX3), though you should appreciate that some people will value these things highly and happily go down the route of custom watercooling.

Back
Top Bottom