• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 Case Size Issue!!!! Slight overlook...

Associate
Hi, I know there is a tonne of threads atm based around the 5870, but has anyone wanting to upgrade to this card been faced with the fact your mid-range case is just too damn small :(

Well I have. Ive been waiting ages for the release of this card, I can hang on for a month or so till they sort the stock out but then I came to the sudden conclusion and grabbed my ruler. It wasnt good, my thermaltake Mid range case is Half an Inch too small. Half an inch of harddrive bay is in the way and there is nout I can do about it, apart from buy a new case :(

~~~Headbanging~~~

Man of Honour
Can you remove part of the hdd bay even if you have to cut it? If that leaves you with no hdd bays then you could consider an adapter to put them in the 5.25" bays instead.

Associate
OP
tttsunamiblwin2.jpg

thats the same design I have ^^ and I will have 4 harddrives soon

Associate
It looks like you can take the HDD caddy out, remove that and install one of these at the top with your 4 HDD's. It should leave you one slot free at the top for a DVD drive.

Associate
Have the same case as you and i removed my hdd cage and installed them into the dvd bays using these http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-051-AK&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=72 due to the heatsinks temps were not noticibly different then before and removing the hdd cage allows the front intake fan to blow cool air unobstructed onto the gfx card . I only had two drives so not a problem but you might struggle a bit if you want a dvd drive maybe move two into the dvd bays and one in the cage directly above the hdd cage so you still have somewhere to tuck unneeded cables if you don't have a modular psu. Once you've done that you'll actually have enough room for a 5870X2 if you want :).

Associate
OP
Cheers :D I have a modular psu so its ok cable tidy wise, Im looking at putting a fan tho behind the drives as it helps reduce the temperature a lot I noticed. hmm decisions :D

Thanks all.

Associate
thats the same design I have ^^ and I will have 4 harddrives soon
Looks like ThermalTake Tsunami Dream type case. I used to have one, it was the worst case I've ever had. Terribly wobbly thin aluminium, no noise reduction, inadequate ventilation, cramped with poor space.

I chucked it out, tried another case, but then settled on the Antec P182. Only downside with P182 is lower HDD bay fan interferes with cables, the Antec P183 looks near perfection. But I'm very very happy with my P182, and there's loads of space to fit very long graphics cards (IF you don't use the upper HDD bay).

Associate
I know it's expensive but ,after the monitor/keyboard /mouse it's the computer bit you look at the most so why not buy a new bigger case - you know you want to :D

Got myself a HAF a few months ago - thoroughly enjoyed the uninstallout of old case/reinstall in new case work.

No issues with any (so far as I know) hardware not fitting. Cable tidy is easy. The big fans keep the inside cool but noise levels are more than acceptable.

Only downsides are the fact that there are no filters so good idea to clean once every coupla weeks or so and it's heavy.

Got to say that I do like the look of the case - although others do not like it.

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestion ^^

Ive had a look around you think this will fit my case??

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-165-LL&groupid=701&catid=1428&subcat=1432

Looks like it will, and its got the anti vibe mounts :D

but another £10-£20 will get you a pretty decent case like the akasa zen, coolermaster elite 335 or the antec 300, all of which can fit the 5870 perfectly. so unless there are other reasons I'd be looking at one of those tbh, should give you better cooling as well.

Associate
OP
I know a new case would be sweet, I do like rebuilds :D, And I know how good the Coolermaster cases are as well. Built my Gf the 330 last year the thing hasnt a spot of dust inside, and is well ventilated with the mesh front. oooo really bugs me that I spent like £75 on the thermaltake case not 12month ago :/ I know its not the best after building my gfs but its like a kick in the nut sack.

Associate
OP
it would fit a 5850 in if I spaced the drives out around the power cord, but it would stil be tight. my x1900xt only fitted because i placed a drive each side of the card :D

Plus I really want the 5870 :D

Back
Top Bottom