• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gear up for 3D or DX11?

Soldato
After seeing 3D games in action (thanks Overclockers!) I’m confused about my next upgrade (probably early next year). I did think the only choice was the 5850 (for my budget). However, I might start saving and go Nvidia based purely on 3D, I know I’d need a new monitor but I can sell my Hanns-G 28” (hopefully the 3D monitors will be available in 24” by then).

I suppose my question is given a choice would people go for 3D over DX11? (lets assume I’m talking about now rather than wait for a 3D / DX11 compatible card.

Soldato
its all a bit gimmicky to me, but given that DX11 will become a base format eventually within windows, i would say that DX11 is probably better to aim for, in the case of futureproofing.

The Nvidia 3d thing is quite cool, but will it last and be widely supported is the thing to ask?

Soldato
I was thinking along the same lines, or rather Eyefinity vs. 3DVision.

I started a thread about it here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18055539&highlight=eyefinity+3dvision+immersion

As you can see, the opinions were kinda split down the middle (no pun intended - Eyefinity bezels :p).

The main problems as I see them are:

3DVision = 'only' 22" monitor, may not work well in every game, framerate hit

Eyefinity = displayport adapter or monitor required, framerate hit (less of an issue than 3DVision), may not work in every game (better support than 3DVision since it's just a case of adjusting the resolution / FOV)

For many people, the cost of entry to both is about the same (possibly cheaper for 3DVision if you already have a card).

Ultimately it comes down to 22" of true 3D vs. 72" of 2D 'surround', and without having the oppotunity to try both, it's hard to make a call.

I'm almost tempted to buy both and sell the one I don't like...

Associate
I went with 3D vision and I'm glad I did.

It's amazing with LFD and it does not give me a headache at all. I don't wear glasses and my eyes are really powerful but I'm glad I went with it.

I will go with DX11 when the GTX300 series are out. I'm currently using it with my GTX285 and it's brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom