Snooze

Soldato
ZzzZZzZZzZz was all that was on this bull's mind.

Taken yesterday, and marks the start of seal season once again for me, took some 617 panoramics with film too, so quite looking forward to see what I get back...

snooze.jpg

D700
24x70
ISO 1600
0.75 hard grad.
red filter

Soldato
OP
very nice, would'nt mind seeing the colour version to?

Sure!

not very nice though :D it was a shot I had in mind, and I was experimenting with using a red filter to take the shot, as opposed to adding one in PS afterwards, I find the contrast slightly better but not much in it.

Interestingly enough, I find that because the red filter removes all the colour from the scene, it makes it easier to compose images for B&W when actually looking through the viewfinder - for me anyway..

red.jpg

Associate
Personally, I find the 'burnt out' bit in the cloud just a little distracting, but other than that I like it, and it's nice to see something different from DN at least.

The red looks a little too 'post apocalyptic' for my tastes!

Nice to see you're using some decent kit now too! ;) :D

Associate
Controversially, I am going to say that I am not so keen on this one. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of your photography. I think the ND grad used in the sky was far too heavy, which is causing the opening to appear burnt out. The rays beaming through are a really nice touch, but coupled with the strength of the sky just distract from the seal pup, whom ultimately becomes lost amidst a sea of grey sand. Looking at your other seal shots on your website, they are much better. Your work speaks for itself, so am sure you can take my slightly negative critique ;)

Soldato
OP
Controversially, I am going to say that I am not so keen on this one. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of your photography. I think the ND grad used in the sky was far too heavy, which is causing the opening to appear burnt out. The rays beaming through are a really nice touch, but coupled with the strength of the sky just distract from the seal pup, whom ultimately becomes lost amidst a sea of grey sand. Looking at your other seal shots on your website, they are much better. Your work speaks for itself, so am sure you can take my slightly negative critique ;)

Cheers for the comments.

Its interesting to read the comments on this shot as some people have said this my best to date. Would also be interesting to know how many people are viewing it on a decent calibrated display as it looks bloody terrible on my works PC but lovley on my Eizo at home.
The sand looks bleak and miserable here, but at home is nice.

Associate
Cheers for the comments.

Its interesting to read the comments on this shot as some people have said this my best to date. Would also be interesting to know how many people are viewing it on a decent calibrated display as it looks bloody terrible on my works PC but lovley on my Eizo at home.

Yes, screen calibration makes a huge difference. Since getting home there is a vast improvement to my works screen. I think for me, this would have been better as a colour shot. I think the seal sits too closely to the sand tonally which loses impact. If I view your colour shots of the pups on your website they have a real wow factor. That said, tis just my opinion though. :)

Associate
Cheers for the comments.

I viewed it on a calibrated screen too. As I say, it's not the end of the world, but it would have been interesting to see a colour one too, and a resultant b&w conversion.

olv

olv

Soldato
When did you get a D700?!

I'm not a fan of the sky, can't put my finger on it. I have to say that I do prefer your other stuff.

Associate
I really like this, I agree that the sky is a little dark, but it is still a brilliant shot. Looking forward to seeing your panoramas too.

Back
Top Bottom