Cleaning carbon fibre

Soldato
Right, I got a cheap pair of 45mm slip on termi's on their way down, cheap because 1, they need a bit of elbow grease to clean them up 2, need new termi stickers as one fell off 3, needs re padding at some point soon.

So, apart from the above, they are in perfect running condition and do not have a single dent :)

But, what should I do to the carbon fibre?

Here are some pics;

45mmtermis008.jpg

45mmtermis003.jpg

45mmtermis002.jpg

45mmtermis001.jpg

ags

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Use a light cutting compound - something like Autoglym Super resin polish and a shed load of elbow grease.

Soldato
Use a light cutting compound - something like Autoglym Super resin polish and a shed load of elbow grease.

^^This.

I use the same stuff on my carbon heel plates on the Mille as the left one is always picking up scratches from my GP Tech boots from changing gear.

Follow that up after using the Super Resin stuff or Paint Renovator from the same company ( depending on the severity of the scratches/marks etc on the cans ) with a coating of Turtle Wax to seal in the carbon till next time it needs done ( with the sideplates on mine, usually every few weeks :p ).

That said, with the heat involved in the cans, coating in Turtle Wax may not be beneficial at all. However, the Super Resin should clean them up nicely.

For really badly marked carbon, Brasso polish can be quite amazing at what it can clean up. :cool:

Soldato
SRP has little (or indeed no) cutting qualities. It is purely as it's name suggests, a resin, a filler. It will make a difference for about 2 weeks or next wash before the marks started to show again.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

SRP has little (or indeed no) cutting qualities. It is purely as it's name suggests, a resin, a filler.

No - it's a light cutting compound with resins to fill and deeper scratches.

A medium cutting compound is not suitable for these can - with a med compound you need to wax after to fill the faint scratches it creates. You can't use wax as it will yellow with the heat from the cans.

My recommendation stands - my car has carbon fibre doors, dashboard, boot cover, screen and wings - I know how to look after it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I doubt the cans are laquered else they'd turn yellow with the heat.

The cans should be CF topped with resin and polished.

None of my CF stuff is laquered as they are all designed to be out in the sun.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

You can see the laqeur has come off in picture 3!

What resin do you use then if you feel it doesnt need a UV barrier?

The laquer hasn't come off - it's where the sticker was - i.e. where the resin hasn't UV faded.

My CF items have a polyester resin top coat with UV barrier properties.

From the product spec sheet:-

polyester resins that have improved resistance to ultraviolet radiation, and significantly reduce ultraviolet light transmission

Back
Top Bottom