MS SQL Server help please

Soldato
We've got an MS SQL Server .bak file that contains a data dump from a client's website. We need to open it up and get the data out....but this is where the difficulty lies.

I've installed SQL Server 2008 (trial) and set up a server, and installed SQL Server Management Studio Express 2005 (following these instructions), but Management Studio cannot see the server at all.

I then tried to install SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 but all it does is dump me at the SQL Server Installation Centre.

I'm really confused about this...I barely even know what SQL is so any help would be much appreciated. All we want is the data from the backup file, nothing else.

Any ideas?

Associate
So the server and client are running on different machines? Do you receive an error message when trying to connect to the database engine?

On the server i would suggest you check the following.....

Open the Surface Area Configuration

Click Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections

Under Database Engine >> Remote Connections check the local and remote connections radio button is selected

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Does Management Studio 2008 give you an error at all?

Try connecting to the server using this naming convention:
SERVER_NAME\INSTANCE NAME

I.e. for a server called 'SQLSRV' (this is the server's windows name) with an instance of SQL called 'SQLE2008' you would use:
SQLSRV\SQLE2008
Or if it's on your local machine:
.\SQLE2008

Soldato
OP
So the server and client are running on different machines?

Away from the machine until Monday but I'm attempting to run the client and server on the same machine - my W7 laptop.

Thanks for your advice so far. I'll send the other guys both your thoughts and see if it does anything. Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom