Windows 7 for laptop. which one?

Associate
Just got a laptop today :D pretty decent spec, it already has windows ultimate BUT i didnt get a free windows 7 upgrade :\

I really want to upgrade it to windows 7, but i dont really know which one to buy. I have 7 ultimate on my desktop pc. Its pretty well. Its going to be used a lot of college work, and maybe abit of gaming in the car for long journeys.

I was thinking home premium because its cheap. Does it still have the same range of compatibility as the ultimate ?

Soldato
Sorry to hijack somewhat, but since Dell are giving out these free Win7 upgrades, i tried my hand and got one for my Inspiron 1545. Thing is, the laptop came with Vista 32bit installed (strange cause it has 4Gb ram!) and when i go onto Dell's upgrade website and type in all the details, it only gives me the option for an upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit.

Am i right in thinking that every version (bar Starter i think) comes with 32bit and 64bit? And so this shouldn't matter?

EDIT: Also i forgot to mention that i formatted the laptop and installed my own copy of Vista Home Premium 64bit on it anyway, so im guessing it shouldn't matter since the Win7 upgrade disk should detect a 64bit OS?

Last edited:
Soldato
Upgrades can only be done to the same version if that makes sense, so 32bit to 32bit, or 64bit to 64bit, hence only offering the same version upgrade.

So should i be ok if i already have the 64bit version of Vista installed? Even though in the shipping order it says they are giving me the Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit? I thought the disks had every version on it and it was only determined by the cd key which one you got. Unless the keys are locked to the architecture as well maybe?

Associate
I thought the disks had every version on it and it was only determined by the cd key which one you got. Unless the keys are locked to the architecture as well maybe?
There are separate disks for 32bit and 64bit versions. I'd guess you'll only get sent 32bit since that's what it says you're ordering.

Soldato
Yeah that's what I was meaning unfortunately. If your machine shipped with a 32bit OS on it, with an upgrade voucher, it would only entitle you to the 32bit version is my understanding.

Yea thats what i was hoping wouldn't be the case. Sucks cause on Dell's website it doesn't cost anymore to get the 64bit version when you build the machine.

I got mine from the Outlet store, so i assumed that since it had 4Gb it would come with the 64bit version, but obviously not :(.

Back
Top Bottom