GTA IV improved?

Soldato
Must be an Ati thing? Managed to get it running on Dual Core E6750 ok few months back>

In game just standing still on the same street corner with only NPC's and traffic moving around to strain CPU. I've used the maximum GFX settings and 39 View Distance; which is the absolute distance limit with 1680x1050 on my GTX280. Also enlarged EVGA on screen info due to the image resize making it near on impossible to read.

E6750 @ 3.0GHz, fps between 18-27fps
E675030GHzStandinginstreet10AM.jpg

E6750 @ 3.6GHz, fps between 21-33fps
E675036GhzStandinginstreet10am.jpg

E6750 @ 3.0GHz, in-game 5-Star wanted level gunfight + huge explosions
GTAIVE675030GHzwithhugegunfightexpl.jpg

Works Dual Core's dam hard though^ :( Ran a dam site better on my old Quad @ 3.6GHz.

Last edited:
Soldato
Q6600 @ 3.4GHz, fps between 31-46fps
Q660034GhzStandinginstreet10am.jpg

Q6600 @ 3.0GHz in-game 5-Star wanted level gunfight + huge explosions
GTAIVQ660030GHzwithhugegunfightexpl.jpg

And no im not running 8GB on XP, tests from a good few months back when i still used XP :p

Man of Honour
You'll struggle on that system with only 2 cores and 512MB VRAM.
Obviously the game will be playable if you turn the settings right down but it won't run 'nicely' as you put it.

Associate
I think the fact that they haven't patched it further, shows how little they care about the PC version. I'm not going to claim the game doesn't run well on quad cores, but it was terrible on my dual. elpedro and I have very similar set ups, but GTA IV didn't run well on my PC, my old dual core conroe seems to be a massive bottleneck. I still maintain it's an appalling console port.

Man of Honour
elpedro and I have very similar set ups, but GTA IV didn't run well on my PC, my old dual core conroe seems to be a massive bottleneck. I still maintain it's an appalling console port.

That's the point though, he's got a quad at 3.6ghz, that's going to wipe the floor with a dual core system in a game that is designed from the ground up with 3+ cores in mind.

I'm not going to deny that GTA4 performs very badly (I played it with view/detail distances on 1 to keep frames up on my C2D) but in some ways it is nice to see a developer taking advantage of the extra power quads provide for a change.

Soldato
the game is crap.
bad gfx, bad gameplay, bad performance.

You must be doing it wrong.

Amazing graphics here.

Awesome gameplay here.

Ample performance here.

It's one of the very few games I've clocked more than once.

In fact I'm going to reinstall it now and play through it for the fourth time.

Soldato
a game that is designed from the ground up with 3+ cores in mind.

A point many are quick to overlook^, game was designed/coded for the 3 Core XBOX360 Console which iirc has an effective clock speed of around 3.0 to 3.2GHz? :confused: Still the port could/should have been optimized rather than rushed just to scrape in an Xmas 2008 release...

Anyone here tried running the game for example via AMD Phenom II X3 Tri Core 720 Black Edition?

Back
Top Bottom