Pain improving vision?

Man of Honour
A couple of days ago, I squashed my thumb in a very painful way. After the initial nausea, I experienced a brief period of enhanced vision. Everything was brighter, colours were more vivid...it was rather pretty. The only time I've had anything like it was during some youthful experimentation with LSD.

I'm curious as to why it happened. I'm thinking that it might be linked to a primitive flight/fight reaction, with the old bits of my brain interpreting the injury as a potential attack from a predator and jacking my vision up to help me deal with it.

I'm not looking for medical advice, so I think this thread is OK. My thumb wasn't seriously injured, so I don't need any medical attention for it. Which says a lot for the remarkable toughness of bone, because there was quite a bit of force on quite a small area.

Man of Honour
I had something similar when someone hit me on the head, just like a mini trip followed by extreme pain. Probably just the way your brain reacts to pain.

Associate
Are you sure you weren't just passing out?

It does sound very like it too me. having past out a far bit its exactly what you discribe....only if you do tend to pass out you get the everything looking so bright its too bright!!!!

I have had it times too where i havent past out but i get the brighter vision and things more vivid

Associate
maybe you have developed super powers. it often happens due to a freak accident.
Were you in a research establishment at the time of the injury.

maybe you should check for super power hearing, or strength etc.

Associate
maybe you have developed super powers. it often happens due to a freak accident.

Also, was whatever you dropped on your thumb radioactive?

Soldato
A couple of days ago, I squashed my thumb in a very painful way. After the initial nausea, I experienced a brief period of enhanced vision. Everything was brighter, colours were more vivid...it was rather pretty. The only time I've had anything like it was during some youthful experimentation with LSD.

I'm curious as to why it happened. I'm thinking that it might be linked to a primitive flight/fight reaction, with the old bits of my brain interpreting the injury as a potential attack from a predator and jacking my vision up to help me deal with it.

I'm not looking for medical advice, so I think this thread is OK. My thumb wasn't seriously injured, so I don't need any medical attention for it. Which says a lot for the remarkable toughness of bone, because there was quite a bit of force on quite a small area.

No you were just not paying attention to what you were doing, day dreaming. Then the pain of your thumb dragged you out of fiary prinice land. :p

The musles in your eyes must have went into overdrive improving your vison, go have your eyes tested it could be that your vison is not as good as you think it is.

Man of Honour
OP
No you were just not paying attention to what you were doing, day dreaming. Then the pain of your thumb dragged you out of fiary prinice land. :p

The musles in your eyes must have went into overdrive improving your vison, go have your eyes tested it could be that your vison is not as good as you think it is.

My natural vision is so bad that it would be classified as "functionally blind". With glasses I have slightly better than normal vision. I've recently had a full test and been checked out by a consultant, so I'm sure that my glasses are OK and that my eyes are fine apart from the severe myopia.

Man of Honour
OP

Given the normal level of awesome wondrousness that I have had all my life, it would be difficult to tell if I had developed super powers.

:)

Back
Top Bottom