**The Secret World**

Soldato
What Is It? -
DarkDaysAreComing.Com said:
Imagine if every myth, conspiracy theory and urban legend was true. Imagine if your worst nightmare came to life. Imagine a world where vampires hunt for mortal blood in dingy London nightclubs, where werewolves lurk in the sewers beneath Seoul, and where the undead prey on the living in the shadows of New York City. This is the premise for «The Secret World», Funcom's upcoming massively multiplayer online game set in the modern day real world.

Urban environments - Throw yourself into the bustling urban environments of New York, London and Seoul. Shop for clothes, weapons and accessories. Stop by the local nightclub to socialize with your friends before heading out into the darkness that is slowly encroaching on the city streets.

Real-world locations - Discover real-world locations throughout Europe, Asia, Africa and America. From New England to Egypt, explore vast lands full of detail and story as you unravel the myths, legends and conspiracies of the world through a unique, story-driven gameplay experience.

Freeform gameplay - Experience a game that has no classes or levels. Truly freeform character customization allows you to create the alter-ego you want to play, and gameplay that goes beyond the usually rigid MMO structure allows you to play the game the way you want to play it.

Hundreds of powers - Wield fiery katana, gold-plated pistols, and deadly automatic rifles. Learn martial arts, black magic and voodoo. Choose from hundreds of powers to create a character completely customized to your liking.

Action-packed combat - Lose yourself in the most intense real-time action-packed combat system ever. Aim, strafe, shoot – movement is key as bullets fly past you and explosions threaten to tear you apart. Swords or firearms, magic and melee, each offering a similarly intense, reactive combat experience.

Secret societies - Join the Illuminati, the Templars or the Dragon - the three secret societies that pull the strings of our world. Work your way to the top, earn titles and rewards, and play a key role in the battle for world domination.

Player-made organisations - Create or join player-made organisations called cabals. Create your own headquarters, and decorate and furnish it to your liking. All cabals are ranked against each other, and a cabal's success will bring fame, fortune and power to its members.

Track your progress - Earn points for everything you do - from combat and exploration, to trade skills and PvP - in order to rank high on both local and global scoreboards, gain titles and worldwide acclaim, and help make your secret society the most powerful and influential of them all.

Intense player vs. player combat - Take part in ferocious, non-stop player vs. player action in the Battle for Hollow Earth. Fight to control anima, a priceless resource deep within the bowels of our world that will bring unprecedented power to whichever cabal that collects it

Next-generation graphics - Featuring the latest in cutting-edge graphics technology, explore beautifully realized real-world locations that will truly set the standard for next-generation massively multiplayer online games. Prepare for an audiovisual experience unlike anything seen before.

Who is making it? -
It's a new MMO in development by Funcom, those who brought us Dreamfall\The Longest Journey, Anarchy Online and Age of Conan. Not a terrible CV, then.

Tell me more -
http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/

It does unfortunately look like the game may be instanced/zoned like AoC rather than an open world, which is a massive shame, but then we shall see.

~

For anyone wondering, the factions as they stand are Templar, based in London (For the greater good, fight fire with fire), Dragon, based in Seoul (For the whole, and balance) and Illuminati, based in New York (For the self, almost capitalist). Apparently you will NOT be able to team up crossfaction at all.

Show Me The Pretties -

800x600_tsw_screen_3.jpg.jpg

secretworldfull1.jpg

secretworldfull2.jpg

tsw_screen_4.jpg.jpg

What Now? -
Take the initiation test on the website above to be entered in the Beta draw. It's a funky test, asks you some questions. You can't get them wrong, it just has 3 possible outcomes and suggests what type of character to play.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah AOC was dissapointing wasn't it? But. The Good news is they were developing this at the same time as AOC, yet this is still going. Could lead to something a lot more polished :)

Soldato
Yeah AOC was dissapointing wasn't it? But. The Good news is they were developing this at the same time as AOC, yet this is still going. Could lead to something a lot more polished :)

I will remain reluctant but I'll keep my eye on it. Seems to be a few MMOs that havn't been following the Blizzards Guide Book in making MMOs atleast.

Man of Honour
Its great to see some MMOs coming out which think a little bit outside the box. Having said that, Funcom have A LOT to do to show to me that they have the faintest clue how to make a successful MMO.

Man of Honour
I'd say AO is pretty successful, considering what other MMOs were around of the time and how it's still going and changing.

I dont know...it effectively had to go free to play in order to continue, whilst older MMOs are still pay per month. It was also an absolute shambles of a game at release which in turn destroyed any reputation it might have built up from the outset. Its still going admittedly, mind you..there are text based muds which are still going.

Soldato
I dont know...it effectively had to go free to play in order to continue, whilst older MMOs are still pay per month. It was also an absolute shambles of a game at release which in turn destroyed any reputation it might have built up from the outset. Its still going admittedly, mind you..there are text based muds which are still going.

True but my point still stands, I think it's fair to say it was successful enough. Also back then, releasing an MMO smoothly wasn't heard of and today, it still really isn't heard of. I was lucky myself not have problems with any of the bugs on release that stopped me playing ;)

It's not just free to play either, further access requires you to pay as I'm sure you know already.

I still play it now and again.

Associate
If it is not a crazy instance fest I will give it a go :) All the constant loading screens and having my mates in other instances when we in the same area just ruins immersion for me

Soldato
Its good people are moving outside the genres that they have seemed stuck in for so long. Maybe we will get some info and the CCP WoD MMO soon.

Permabanned
another mmo to waste huge amounts of time and money...not for me...looks good though...well they all look good to rope you in...then its the same gameplay as any other mmo...grind,grind,grind,grind,grind

Permabanned
another mmo to waste huge amounts of time and money...not for me...looks good though...well they all look good to rope you in...then its the same gameplay as any other mmo...grind,grind,grind,grind,grind..why people keep falling for this i do not know

Man of Honour
another mmo to waste huge amounts of time and money...not for me...looks good though...well they all look good to rope you in...then its the same gameplay as any other mmo...grind,grind,grind,grind,grind..why people keep falling for this i do not know

At a wild guess, an enormous stab in the dark, some quite revolutionary thinking...I am going to say people keep falling for it because they like it?

Certainly I enjoy the MMO genre way , waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than any other genre of PC game.

Permabanned
At a wild guess, an enormous stab in the dark, some quite revolutionary thinking...I am going to say people keep falling for it because they like it?

Certainly I enjoy the MMO genre way , waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than any other genre of PC game.

and certainly the most dullest which requires a LOT less skill than any other genre of pc game

Man of Honour
and certainly the most dullest which requires a LOT less skill than any other genre of pc game

Subjective personal opinion.

I personally find text based adventure games the most dullest which require a lot less skill than any other genre of PC game. However, everyone is different and has different tastes which I entirely acknowledge.

Back
Top Bottom