Carphone Warehouse messed up... what should I do? (A question of morality)

Associate
Last month my O2 contract ran out, and I was able to get rid of my godawful K850i at long last. I wanted to upgrade to a W995 but O2 would not do this directly for me, but said that I could get one if I upgraded through the carphone warehouse.

Went to carphone warehouse, and they said they could give me a W995 but it would have to be £25 a month for two years, whereas I was previously only spending the same per month on an 18 month contract. I agreed to this and they said my contract would all be switched over automatically.

That was nearly two months ago, and I haven't had my contract switched over. I phoned up O2 and they said that I'm basically out of contract (yet somehow they've put me back on the same one) and that they have had no information from CPW in regards to my upgrade.

Phone up CPW, they say that there has been an error in activating my contract and to activate it I have to take my phone into a shop where they will do something to it and activate my contract.

Should I do this? Or should I be a bad boy and just pretend my dealings with CPW never happened, and possibly even phone up O2 and put myself on a simplicity contract?

Soldato
Personally Id be a bad boy and risk it - they may catch up to you in the end but I suspect not. Obviously the right thing to do is to let them know. If you will constantly worry about it - Id let carphonewarehouse know.

Associate
Just phone CPW and tell them you've had enough and arent interested anymore. They'll have to let you out of it since they havnt activated it in the time they were supossed to. Otherwise you risk them doing something stupid with your simplicity tariff when they finally pull their finger out!

The 'bring in the handset' is rediculous. They don't need your handset or SIM to switch your contract.

It sounds to me like CPW havnt done ****, and O2 are just charging you monthly - out of contract - on the same tariff. That just means you can cancel your O2 contract whenever you like, or continue being charged monthly untill you tie into a new contract.

Just do whats best for you, and thell CPW to stick it :)

Associate
I would risk it. O2 took about a year to get round to removing my expired 15 quid a month discount, they eventually caught up, but I never had to pay anything back. You can always just pleed ignorance, it's their mistake (kinda).

Caporegime
I work for CPW, and when the commission for the upgrade fails to come through, your details will be looked at in our sales system and you will be contacted. You have no legal right to the phone without the activation of the contract, as it is subsidised from the network on the basis of the new contract.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys,

I decided to 'forget' about my dealings with CPW and phoned up O2 and got myself put on a simplicity contract. If I do eventually get contacted from CPW I will just plead ignorance, as legally speaking it's their mistake. Hopefully they won't though and I'll get to keep my phone :) The only downside to this is that if in the future I see a CPW deal that I like I'll be weary about getting it because then they might see the two year contract I was supposed to have had with them!

Permabanned
screw CPW over they are next to useless thieving idiots who will do anything to stitch you up on a dodgy contract so I think this is a case of chalk one up for the consumer

Caporegime
screw CPW over they are next to useless thieving idiots who will do anything to stitch you up on a dodgy contract so I think this is a case of chalk one up for the consumer

Hmmmm, and what evidence do you have to support your view?

I work for CPW, and when the commission for the upgrade fails to come through, your details will be looked at in our sales system and you will be contacted. You have no legal right to the phone without the activation of the contract, as it is subsidised from the network on the basis of the new contract.

Really? Have you worked there long? Do you work in a branch or at Acton?

Soldato

Can't say i've had anything but good service from them in the 4 years i've been with them!

Always given me the phone/contract i've wanted, always sorted out problems when i've asked them, emailed me back promptly when i've asked a question.

Can't ask for anything else to be honest.

Caporegime
Can't say i've had anything but good service from them in the 4 years i've been with them!

Always given me the phone/contract i've wanted, always sorted out problems when i've asked them, emailed me back promptly when i've asked a question.

No massive company is perfect, and people tend to be more vocal about the bad rather than the good. We try very hard to meet the needs of our customers, but find me a company with 3000+ staff without a single bad apple and I will show you a fantasy ;)

Soldato

From my experiences, they only care if you're on a contract.

If you go in there and are either a PAYG, or looking to become a PAYG customer, they don't care.

Back
Top Bottom