Removing unused notification area icons ?

Associate
I recently noticed that I have unused notification area icons from software I have already uninstalled. How do I remove these alltogether rather than just hide them ?

I understand there is a registry path to delete and then stop the "explorer" process before rebooting but I cannot remember the path.

Can anyone help ?

Cheers

Soldato
I was under the impression that the icons removed themselves if the program was no longer there? Unless you are talking about Windows 7, in which case, it keeps the data about the notification icon there, even when the program is uninstalled. The icon won't appear if you let Windows 7 display it. It is keeping the data for later, if you re-install I think.

Associate
OP
I was under the impression that the icons removed themselves if the program was no longer there? Unless you are talking about Windows 7, in which case, it keeps the data about the notification icon there, even when the program is uninstalled. The icon won't appear if you let Windows 7 display it. It is keeping the data for later, if you re-install I think.

I'm using windows 7. The icons are from programs that are uninstalled and I wont install again. I just want to clean it up as it is getting cluttered. I want to totally remove them , not just hide them.

Soldato
Are you not talking about the Quick Launch bar?

If an application is still appearing in the notification area (on the right if your taskbar runs across the bottom of your screen), it is not uninstalled correctly.

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
Ah apologies, you didn't make it clear it was within the 'customise the notification area' bit. Your first post reads that the icons were actually still appearing IN the notification area itself :).

Soldato
I'm using windows 7. The icons are from programs that are uninstalled and I wont install again. I just want to clean it up as it is getting cluttered. I want to totally remove them , not just hide them.

I understood what you meant mate. I was just saying, in the Notification Area Icons customisation panel, a lot of them stay even AFTER the program is uninstalled. But it doesn't mean the icon is actually there if you were to enable it.

Glad you found a fix however =)

Back
Top Bottom