Win 7 Arrives 21st

Soldato
I was supposed to get Win 7 from ******* as it has dispatched but I didnt get it today cos of postal strike - it should delivery by special delivery so I cancelled and refund and already ordered from OCUK and will get it by tomorrow.. there will be more strike next week for 3 days that would destory Royal Mail as business cannot afford to keep contract with RM, that why small business seem to be dump Royal Mail and set up new courier service to speed up, OCUK seem much better as the order seem lots quicker - very good one.

Competitor, edit it out or get a holiday...

Associate
Got my copy today and installation seems to have gone smoothly so far :)

One thing though, text doesn't seem to be as crisp as it was when I was running XP (?)

I've installed my monitor driver (Samsung SM226BW) and latest graphics driver (191.07) for my GTX 260 OCX, but it just doesn't seem right.

Anyone else having similar problems or know of any remedies?

(this is my first crack at W7 btw so I'm not too clued up on it)

Soldato
Mine is at the DPD depot as apparently no one was in when they tried to deliver it.

Doesn't matter really as I have no new SSD ordered yet anyway. :D

Soldato
Got my copy today and installation seems to have gone smoothly so far :)

One thing though, text doesn't seem to be as crisp as it was when I was running XP (?)

I've installed my monitor driver (Samsung SM226BW) and latest graphics driver (191.07) for my GTX 260 OCX, but it just doesn't seem right.

Anyone else having similar problems or know of any remedies?

(this is my first crack at W7 btw so I'm not too clued up on it)

Got "clear type" enabled??

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just got home, Pro waiting for me!

Activated my RTM version from some months back using this key and activated perfectly. Job done, no reinstall needed everybody is happy :)

Love the DVD boxes too, beats the Vista ones IMO, frosted look = win.

win7pro.png

Associate
Just installing my 7pro now.

Just out of curiosity it defaulted to US language and keyboard. I thought the EU editions were different to the US ones. I know the whole browser thing isn't a issue any more. Is everyone's the same or do I have import ?

I like the cylon type animation at start-up too.

Soldato
Got mine today.

Worst install so far - long, kept saying I had a program that needed to be uninstalled(there was not) and stopping the install.

Internet loads marginally faster. Boot takes longer.

Distinctly unimpressed.

Soldato
City Link managed to deliver today! To the wrong street and wrong number but I managed to track it down. I expect given the extra work this week due to the strike they are just desperate to get everything out of the van.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Got mine today.

Worst install so far - long, kept saying I had a program that needed to be uninstalled(there was not) and stopping the install.

Distinctly unimpressed.

Sounds like you tried an upgrade?

You're doing it wrong!

Associate
Great service as always from OCUK. Ordered my copy of Home Premuim on Tuesday night, it was dispatched yesterday and delivered by lunchtime today.

Really can't ask for more from a retailer, prompt reliable service every time. I just need to resist the temptation to order more hardware now.

Associate
Got mine today.

Distinctly unimpressed.

Yeah i take it you upgraded (a program that needed to be uninstalled??) rather than installed a clean version? Either that or you've done something wrong.

I find that a format of the drive and a fresh install is the only way to go when installing any operating system. Win 7 for me has been the most hassle free install of any MS OS and it's by far the quickest in every department.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, I'd like to comment on how great Windows 7 is, but I can't.

My order is still:
In our warehouse queue

:(

I guess it has something to do with x64 Ultimate Retail running out of stock. The day after I ordered it went from being in stock to pre-order.

Associate
I ordered my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on Tuesday afternoon. It arrived this afternoon about 3pm and from booting from DVD for a clean install to the first desktop was 12 mins!!

I already had all my hardware drivers downloaded and ready to go, the biggest install was Office 2007 and the two SPs. It even detected my SLI'd GTX 260s during the install procedure which I thought might be a problem!

All in all, a seamless transition from Win 7 RC to Win 7 Ultimate retail. Microsoft have hit a home run with this version of Windows I think.

I was going to pick it up from PC World but for weeks they've been advertising it all full retail price of 200 odd quid. This morning I noticed they'd dropped it to 160 quid. Who the heck does their marketing??? For Win 7 pre-orders at Amazon to be record sales and PC World to totally drop the ball with the pre-order bandwagon.

Associate
I ordered my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on Tuesday afternoon. It arrived this afternoon about 3pm and from booting from DVD for a clean install to the first desktop was 12 mins!!

I already had all my hardware drivers downloaded and ready to go, the biggest install was Office 2007 and the two SPs. It even detected my SLI'd GTX 260s during the install procedure which I thought might be a problem!

All in all, a seamless transition from Win 7 RC to Win 7 Ultimate retail. Microsoft have hit a home run with this version of Windows I think.

I was going to pick it up from **** but for weeks they've been advertising it all full retail price of 200 odd quid. This morning I noticed they'd dropped it to 160 quid. Who the heck does their marketing??? For Win 7 pre-orders at **** to be record sales and **** to totally drop the ball with the pre-order bandwagon.

Might want to re-think mentioning the competitors matey...

Soldato
My 3rd copy arrived this morning, (1 for main PC, 1 for sons laptop, this one for work laptop) Ordered this one from OCUK just the day before at around 3pm so not bad at all.

Paid a bit more then my other 2 copies as I ordered those months ago but work are paying for this one so im not fussed.

All 3 copies have been installed without a hitch. all clean installs as they were all running the RC of Windows 7. In each case I just ran Easy Transfer on the RC and backed up to a external drive. Clean install then ran Easy Transfer again and within minutes all my docs, settings etc are back the way they were. All I had to do was installl the software.

each PC took around an hour, and most of that was the backup and restore of the large files.

Seems all the problems are from people upgrading rather than a fresh install.

Back
Top Bottom