*** Official Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Thread***

Caporegime
Basically (as on halo 3) they will implement the maps into IW.net playlists/ matchmaking, whenever you try to join you'll get a nice little "sorry you dont have the dlc, click here to pay for something which used to be free".

When did Halo do that :confused: They create new matchmaking areas for people with the maps but they don't delete the old ones, and all of them are updated regularly. Then when the map packs become free they get included into all the matchmaking areas.

Associate
Dont forget your game is worth £0.00 once you buy it. It gets linked to your steam account/ cant sell it on.

They will FORCE you to pay THEIR chosen price on dlc: maps/mods. Basically (as on halo 3) they will implement the maps into IW.net playlists/ matchmaking, whenever you try to join you'll get a nice little "sorry you dont have the dlc, click here to pay for something which used to be free". Dedicated servers allow our amazing pc modding/ mapping community to enjoy all these benefots for FREE and do it for US GAMERS, NOT FOR THE MONEY.

Good article HERE

+1

Soldato
I expect because what they're heading for is a all-in-one service that they can manage updates, statistics, usage, locale, DLC and monitor for cheating, hacks, piracy, etc and make it all more accessible to the majority of gamers (the casuals). The benefits for THEM are huge...and therein lies the problem. They are thinking TOO much about themselves and that's what has riled certain pockets of PC gamers.

If they offered dedicated servers as well as IWnet then there's very little reason for gamers to use their service; something they've probably piled lots of money in to and want to lock you in to. It probably ties in to marketing as well - to use the game on IWnet etc you'll no doubt have to pass over your email at some stage, discounts on pre-ordering DLC..all that stuff.

Oh come on, you can do better than that.

My opinions are just as valid as yours. I've played online PC games for many years.

OK then, why does the PC platform need to be the same at all? yeah it works better for them.

And the one point I put to you is HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE TO THE CASUAL GAMER WHEN THEY HAVE MANAGED FOR HOW MANY YEARS NOW!?

The people whining about hax are the people that always complain that for example a clan member has hax.....OR maybe its just that the given clan member is better than said player and they really dont like that, therefore they must be cheating to be better than them. The argument is based around whiney 8 Y/O american kids that shout at their mums for another plate full of cheese burgers

Soldato
I expect because what they're heading for is a all-in-one service that they can manage updates, statistics, usage, locale, DLC and monitor for cheating, hacks, piracy, etc and make it all more accessible to the majority of gamers (the casuals). The benefits for THEM are huge...and therein lies the problem. They are thinking TOO much about themselves and that's what has riled certain pockets of PC gamers.

Steam already manages updates
Steam already provides statistics
Steam already provides DLC
VAC monitors cheats
Steam already prevents some piracy

NONE of the things you've mentioned are impacted in any way, shape or form by the availability of Dedicated Servers.
CS was ONE of the most casual pick up and play games, and that had dedicated servers.

there is no reason why you cannot have a "quick join random game" button that connects you to a random good ping mostly full server.

Soldato
Ok so it seems they have removed the registration form from the Infinity ward forums, I cant even go and register to add my vote to the thread.

I played cod4 for a long long time and once punkbuster is sorted on Windows 7 ill install it again.

There is just no point in buying the game for me now ill borrow it play the single player if its good and then give it back.

Playing cod4 with the old group of people I used to (most are registered here) was the most fun gaming Ive ever had. Cod5 really just didn't pull me back into the game I was hoping that MW2 might have gotten me hooked again, but now I wont be able to play on a server where I know the same people will be there having a good laugh its just lost all appeal.

Soldato
I'm on 7100 and tried every methodology out there and it didnt work although this was a couple of months ago.

I thought it was more of a PB issue as opposed to a Win 7 issue?

Soldato
I'm on 7100 and tried every methodology out there and it didnt work although this was a couple of months ago.

I thought it was more of a PB issue as opposed to a Win 7 issue?

Sure it worked for me on 7100 eventually, been playing COD4 on the RTM for the last 2 months now in PB enabled servers without a problem.

Soldato
An idea popped into my head last night. Ok there are no dedicated servers for COD MW2......buuut there are for MW1 aaand there is still a modding community for MW1 yeah? I dont see why the new maps cant be bought across to MW1 and a mod to basically simulate the MW2 experiance but on a dedicated server. Plus it would be a lovely big fat 2 fingers up to IW

Caporegime
An idea popped into my head last night. Ok there are no dedicated servers for COD MW2......buuut there are for MW1 aaand there is still a modding community for MW1 yeah? I dont see why the new maps cant be bought across to MW1 and a mod to basically simulate the MW2 experiance but on a dedicated server. Plus it would be a lovely big fat 2 fingers up to IW

Somehow I think they might get a cease and desist order quite quickly.

Soldato
Think I'm going to have to get a proper copy of MW1 to play online now. I really don't understand this decision. And fourzerotwo's article on how IWNET will be better for PC gamers is a load of horse ****.

From his Twitter:

This will give #MW2 PC players a better idea as to exactly why IWNET is an improvement. Details included

Link here

How can anything be better than a dedicated server?! I wish someone would explain.

He makes it sound as if searching through a server list is such a massive hassle. Do they not realise 90% of people have their favourite servers?

Back
Top Bottom