Stolen Push-Bikes..

Associate
My bike was stolen today (second one this year!!) from the centre of town :mad: They had taken bolt croppers to the bike lock an no doubt the CCTV camera was looking away from the bike locks when the incident occurred. Insurance won't cover it and I have no hope in the police finding it.
Anyway, what do the thief's actually do with the bikes they steal? Is there any chance I could find it being sold on say; ebay, local papers, car boot sales? Or am I more like to find some piece of scum riding it around the Council estates?

Associate
Funny you mention it, a friend of mine got his bike stolen IN lincoln city centre last week, nothing from police and no CCTV covered it, the best part was when the guy cycled on the other side of the road from him on the way back home.

Soldato
Anyway, what do the thief's actually do with the bikes they steal? Is there any chance I could find it being sold on say; ebay, local papers, car boot sales? Or am I more like to find some piece of scum riding it around the Council estates?

This. My dad saw someone riding the bike that was stolen from him when he was driving to work. He pulled over and grabbed the guy (bike had my dad's initials on the frame) but he managed to get away :o

Soldato
My brother had his bike stolen in Lincoln a few years back, we checked Hemswell market, the local papers, Ebay, etc, didn't find it.

Maybe they sell them on to mates or mates of mates, either way you know it's probably going on drink/drugs.

Soldato
I've seen kids trying to sell bikes to their mates outside Argos near where I live in North London before. Considering the prices they were selling them for, I can only assume they were stolen.

Associate
Have you reported it to the Police? My bike got stolen recently and I have been called the police when they thought they found my bike.

There's definitely some kind of bike stealing ring in Southampton. About 5 of my friends have lost their bikes all over town and residential areas. Every time a bolt cutter was used.

Soldato
There's definitely some kind of bike stealing ring in Southampton. About 5 of my friends have lost their bikes all over town and residential areas. Every time a bolt cutter was used.

well it's fairly easy thing to do... they steal it and nothing happens to them even if police catch them which probably happens 1/10 they get 2 days imprisonment and that's all.. so they keep on doing.. this country needs to actually give a hard time for the scum who does it... :rolleyes: and it's not only about bikes... fighting, mobile phones, burglary etc etc...

Associate
OP
Bike was £400, I have reported it to the police and listed it as stolen on http://www.immobilise.com/ <- was recommended this site by Lincoln police when my previous bike was stolen.
Insurance won't cover it as it was stolen away from home -.-
Will register to bikeradar and make a post there.
This is such a ball-ache, that bike was my primary transport and with my current financial situation I cannot afford another one. 3 new bikes in a year is ridiculous.

Wish I stayed in the military :(

Capodecina
Soldato
The White Bicycle

The White Bicycles (Witfiets) can be found at various locations in Amsterdam. They represent a revival of a concept that was tried in Amsterdam in the 1960s. Back then, Luud Schimmelpennink an environmentalist, along with an activist group dreamed up a plan to put free bicycles on the streets of Amsterdam. They figured if there were enough bicycles people could just grab one wherever they were and leave it at their destination for someone else to use. So a number of bright white bicycles were set out for the public. Unfortunately the bikes were quickly stolen, and the program was cancelled.

http://www.hiptravelguide.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=115&site=1 & http://home.deds.nl/~quip/deel/witfiets.html

This should have been one of the REALLY GREAT ideas to come from the hippy movement . . . sadly because of stupid, selfish cretins of the day it never caught on :(

Soldato
Bike was £400, I have reported it to the police and listed it as stolen on http://www.immobilise.com/ <- was recommended this site by Lincoln police when my previous bike was stolen.
Insurance won't cover it as it was stolen away from home -.-
Will register to bikeradar and make a post there.
This is such a ball-ache, that bike was my primary transport and with my current financial situation I cannot afford another one. 3 new bikes in a year is ridiculous.

Wish I stayed in the military :(

Take out proper cycle insurance.
Will cover you home and away if you get stolen at home or away, and you get public liability too.

I've got a £1000 road bike I use to commute, that costs me £8 a month. A £400 bike would be like half that.

Back
Top Bottom