James Cameron's 'Avatar' - The next gen of cinema

AGD

AGD

Soldato
Well technically these guys weren't meant to post reviews until monday so maybe people writing negative ones are holding back. But the times, the guardian, the independent and the sun are all very positive about the film which suggests that it might actually be quite good. :)

Soldato
I'm expecting a good solid Cameron experience. Possibly some cheesyness in there somewhere, but generally your typical well thought out Cameron 'adventure'. Certainly not - for example - anything along the lines of some sappy/cheap McG or Emmerich nonsense...

I doubt it will live up to some of his previous work, but I'm hoping it doesn't fall too far from the tree :)

Soldato
Booked tickets to go see it in 3D the day after release. I've never been too excited over this movie as I'm not a huge fan of CG, however I think this is one of the movies that you've just gotta take the step and see it in all its intended glory.

Soldato
Soldato
Yeah those 2 movies also got very positive reviews. I didnt think much of them, but the majority of the movie-going public loved those films, as shown by their high box office gross.

Soldato
its in the industries interest to have this film to be the staple 3d experience because they are invested into this because its a direct response to pirates. the more they can hype this 3d nonsense up to give a message that a film cant be experienced without it, the better it is for them financially. therefore, i am incredibly sceptical of the positive reviews given, remember , its business, business has no dignity or shame.

Caporegime
Score on RT has started to dip now more people have written reviews. Expect the same to happen on IMDB once it's released.

So far the positive reviews seem to focus on the special effects and the negative reviews on the actual film. Thought that might be the case but really hope it doesn't end up being the type of film you can watch without the need of a brain.

Man of Honour
The graphics look interesting from a technical standpoint (not overly fussed about any 3D aspect, went through all this 3D hype regarding movies a couple of decades ago and I'm kind of expecting the same eventual end result), but the art and graphics look nice.

Storywise..I'm not so sure. Everytime I read a bit about the plot line I just keep expecting Kevin Costner to run onto the screen, its all a little Dances With Wolves, or so it seems to me anyway.

I'll catch the film eventually, but at the moment I'm not massively rushing to see it. I've very recently berated some people who fawn over Twilight/New Moon on the grounds that they are actually fawning over the guy rather than the quality of the actual film, so at this juncture it would be hypocritical of me to do similar with Avatar (by fawning over the film, but being because of the graphics/art rather than the quality of the actual film).

For me at least, its a bit of a leap to declare Avatar the next gen of cinema. What I would consider to be the next gen of cinema would be something hugely interactive, a movie with multiple tangents at various points throughout the film, where the watching audience, via controls on their seats, can effectively "vote" which paths the film will take at various stages during the film. Meaning that one viewing experience in one cinema/showing may be different to the same movies viewing experience in a different cinema/showing. That, I would actually consider next gen, at least much more so than what Avatar has done.

Caporegime
Yeah, not bad eh? ;)

Considering that the plot was basically given away in the very first trailer, it's not exactly difficult to predict what shape it will take. Special effects + buckets of cheese = overhyped movie. Just because Titanic made lots of money doesn't mean it was good cinema.

Soldato
Yeah, not bad eh? ;)

Considering that the plot was basically given away in the very first trailer, it's not exactly difficult to predict what shape it will take. Special effects + buckets of cheese = overhyped movie. Just because Titanic made lots of money doesn't mean it was good cinema.

Ahhh... So you haven't actually seen the film? Oh sorry, from your comment of "stereotypical and utterly predictable plot" I thought you actually knew what you were talking about, rather than just playing the "30 second bunnies" card :)

Let's see then...

Shawshank Redemption - "Innocent guy gets thrown into prison." How stereotypical and utterly predictable!

Star Wars - "Goodies blow up some baddies." How stereotypical and utterly predictable!

12 Angry Men - "A jury with a seemingly guilty man, find him innocent." How stereotypical and utterly predictable!

Terminator - "Bad robot comes back through time to kill the goodies." How stereotypical and utterly predictable!

Wow! This is fun :)

Maybe, just maybe though, it's the detail between the lines that's the important bit... And not just the premise to the story?

As for your final comment, "Just because Titanic made lots of money doesn't mean it was good cinema." Clearly it WAS good cinema (at least for the time) as voted for by people wallets :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom