The 12v ripple on OCZ Stealth X Extream 600w

Soldato
I'm using the above PSU, it's running a Core i5 setup. Calculated my peak wattage is around 375w. Normal working under 200w.

My PC is used mainly for work, and it's on for 12+ hours a day every day, gets a hard life. I like to keep hardware 3+ years, then do a big jump so components get used.

I'm half in a mind to get a very high quality PSU. Was thinking Corsair HX 850, I wanted the 90% efficiency if I was spending money.

Whats peoples views? Am I being paronoid (maybe) about the OCZ 600w, or should I spend £130 on the Corsair?

RJC

RJC

Don
Your being paranoid, I would not worry. The OCZ PSU is more than enough to run your system.

850 ~ will be total overkill.

Soldato
OP
Est, Hi I remember your post before about case cooling and noise. Case is original cheiftec dragon mini, and PSU is at the top and main source for air extaction.

In terms of wattage I understand 850w is total overkill for my rig. I wanted however very clean output for best reliability.

I never mentioned the fan is starting to get noisy on OCZ, also may use the OCZ on a second less important rig.

I think I'll get the Corsair when its next on special offer, it should last a long time, and the extra efficiency (over the years) will offset some of the cost.

Man of Honour
Aslong as your not exceeding 65% load on the PSU you will NOT have an issue with this PSU... tho I've found from experience that the stealthXtreme PSUs tend to suffer from degraded power output over time much worse than other PSUs - after 2-3 years you might want to think about changing it if your close to or exceeding 65% of its rated power output for sustained periods.

Soldato
OP
Here is an update, kind of related.

I never changed the PSU, still on OCZ 600w.

Never mentioned before but the house i'm in has never been re-wired since the 1960's. I think the electrics on the propery are little questionable, however there is expensive tv/hi-fi equipment thats operating fine.

What I was getting was occasional lock-ups (comp freeze), not that often maybe 1-2 a week. Would happen when computer was starting, or loading a computer game (Company of Heros).

I was running a surge protector well 2 (cheap Sainsburys & cheap Wickes items in line) unsure what they were doing (still getting lock ups at this point). I set these up after I read a review that the OCZ either has no MOV, or poor surge protection.

Anyhow I purchased a Tacima Video / Hi-Fi surge protector with noise filtering (£25 google search What Hi-Fi 5 star), I'm running this in-line with the exiting 2 surge protectors (remember we have already established i'm paranoid..) Anyhow the result is not a single lock-up since this is fitted.

Also i'm certain it's tightened (but only very slight) the image on my Ag Neovos (glass fronted). I run 3 in tripple monitor setup and to compare just used the filter on one to compare to others.

One thing i'm going top quality when I next need a PSU, the Seasonic X-650 would be my choice if I was buying now, Cupofchow I googled a review on it, looks a great PSU and 92% efficiency!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom