Web Browser Choice

Soldato
It may sound trivial, but I don't understand why you have to scroll to the right to reveal the other 5 choices. For a start I was taught to always avoid making the user scroll horizontally, but aside from that I don't see why they couldn't display all ten at once, even taking into account people with low screen resolution.

I think the supposed rationale is that no one browser should be "higher up" than the other and hence they are all on one line, but if it was randomized I don't see how two rows of 5 would be a problem.

Soldato
The whole thing is a trivial matter anyway.

Those who know better go and download Firefox/Chrome/Opera/Safari/Whatever.

Those who don't, don't care.

It is good the MS are showing there are alternatives, but to be honest I don't think it will change anything.

Caporegime
Thing is I know Mozilla are the ones pushing this but those who want firefox download it anyway. The big winner will be Chrome as most people see google as the web. It already has a massive following in the non technical group too...

Also why are people going to change their browser choice because of this?

It always was a stupid idea and always will be.

Caporegime
a lot more geeks out there than I thought then considering FF 3.6 is the most common version of any browser out.

Firstly I meant Opera, not FF, which is more mainstream.

Secondly according to my stats FF takes around 30% of my pageviews (with IE taking 50%), of that 3.6 takes a measly 13% compared to 3.5.7 which takes around 70%.

By far the most used browser is still IE8 which takes about a third more (at 50% of the IE market) followed by IE7 which takes around 30% of the IE market, just less overall than FF 3.5.7.

So in essence IE8 is used by 25% of visitors, FF 3.5.7 17%, IE7 15% and FF 3.6 around 4%

(Yeah all website stats are different but not THAT different.;))

For completeness the rest of the browsers are:

IE - 51%
FF- 30%
Safari - 7%
Chrome - 6%
Opera - 2.68%

No wonder Opera are desperate! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
The content and intended audience of a website would have some bias on browser use would it not? For example, I would expect hardware and other PC enthusiast sites to have a greater proportion of Firefox/Chrome/etc users.

Caporegime
Very true. :)

My website is quite general, not one that would necessarily bring in a lot of techno people but a broader spectrum of people.

My other website does have some different stats:

FF - 37%
IE - 37%
Chrome - 13%
Safari - 9%
Opera 3%

With FF 3.5.7 just pipping IE8 to the top spot, FF 3.6 on the other hand has grown, but still only 17% of FF users.

That one is a photography website (and has a much lower number of people going to it) so I would expect more people to be technically adept, so more FF and more Safari users, which it does. However I don't think it's as representative of browsers as a whole. :)

(The only other browser used for the above site was seamonkey, with one view, whereas the first set of stats had a few dozen browsers and IE+FF versions that were a few years old, this one only a few of the newer versions).

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought this was meant to happen with the install of Windows 7. I remember wondering why I wasn't prompted to install the web browser of my choice but to be honest wasn't really fussed anyways as I proceeded to download Opera anyways.

I do agree with Amp34 that Chrome will be the big winner out of this.

Last edited:
Soldato
^ wont happen maybe 80% not 100%..

Firefox on Mac is horrid,Ugly & Slowest browser on the mac. on Windows,Linux Its Good.

Camino, Safari run much better.

then you have Mobile Devices that use Safari, IE, & other browser alternatives

Associate
The whole thing is a trivial matter anyway.

Those who know better go and download Firefox/Chrome/Opera/Safari/Whatever.

Those who don't, don't care.

It is good the MS are showing there are alternatives, but to be honest I don't think it will change anything.

...'Those who know better' ???? ....erm OK :D ;)

Soldato
Firefox will eventually just 100% overtake the browser scene.
I meen why the hell not? Its the most affective and fun loving comunity organicware browser <3

Because some people actually prefer IE. Most corporate customers use IE and have in house applciations designed specifically for IE rather than FF. If you think FF is bug / security issue free then you are wrong and I can't ever see hit have 100% of the market.

It's a personal choice - I can't see why they have bene forced to do this as I know I will just be clicking the X to close it - the entire anti-trust saga has been done just to make the EU more money.

M.

Back
Top Bottom