100 ~ 120 GB SSD's

Associate
Any coming out soon that would be around the same price point and performance of the Intel X25-M 80GB ?

I'm itching to buy the Intel but, I think 80GB is just a little too small once i start installing all my games, An extra 20 ~ 40 GB would be great.

I don't think i want to go down the RAID route, I have never set up an array before.

Any advise please ? Cheers.

Associate
OP
Well the intel is available for just under £173 delivered, it is a good buy!

You mean £193 ?

I agree it is a good buy although, I might need just a little bit more than 75GB.

Was looking for other suggestions, £250 would be my limit and 100 ~ 128GB, The next cheapest would be the Samsung and it's out of stock :/

Associate
No i meant what i said under £173 delivered, that offer has now gone but i still find it for under £185 delivered.

For bigger i have not been looking :)

Associate
OP
No i meant what i said under £173 delivered, that offer has now gone but i still find it for under £185 delivered.

For bigger i have not been looking :)

OK, I need to shop around, £20 is £20 :D

Formatted it's 74 GB, I think after a while i will struggle to keep some free space on there, 100 GB would be better.

Cheers anyway buddy.

Soldato
OK, I need to shop around, £20 is £20 :D

Formatted it's 74 GB, I think after a while i will struggle to keep some free space on there, 100 GB would be better.

Cheers anyway buddy.

For the majority of games you won't notice that big a difference over a decent mechanical drive, so it's a bit of waste to install games on the SSD.

I have a 80gb X-25m and only use it for windows, most of my applications and my two most frequently played games. I still have 43gb free. I use a Samsung F3 1tb for everything else.

Obviously if you have the money, go for it, but personally I think given the high prices and low capacities of current gen SSDs, using one for anything more than a boot drive is a waste.

Associate
OP
For the majority of games you won't notice that big a difference over a decent mechanical drive, so it's a bit of waste to install games on the SSD.

I have a 80gb X-25m and only use it for windows, most of my applications and my two most frequently played games. I still have 43gb free. I use a Samsung F3 1tb for everything else.

Obviously if you have the money, go for it, but personally I think given the high prices and low capacities of current gen SSDs, using one for anything more than a boot drive is a waste.

So you are using 30GB, I'm using 50 odd just now.

Yeah, I know what you are saying, I would like to get everything on there that i normally keep on C:/ though, Just to keep things simple. I have two or three games i play regular, I also keep a few others that i play for a change, I suppose they can be installed to a mechanical HDD.

I think the Intel is what i am after now, I can shave £20 ~ £30 off OCuk's price looking around the web, Pity they don't price match.

Associate

ahhh dont say that, my machine is slow at loading COD4MW2, im always one of the last ones in, and i thought it was mainly down to my drive, i have 2x80GB on a raid 0 but its slow at loading compared to my bro's system, yes his is a lot better than mine but i thought getting a SSD would resolve that. Well i will let you know, should be ordering my Intel by the end of this week!

Soldato
It may well make MW2 load faster (I don't know since I don't have it), but the thing with games is that there are many other factors that affect how fast something loads, things like CPU and internet connection speed. This is especially true with online games, where there are simply unavoidable delays with things like connecting to a server, validating game files, etc. You can tell that the actual loading of local game assets is pretty quick, just by looking at the HD activity LED on your case - it's usually other things that cause delays.

Back
Top Bottom