Buying windows 7, but I have some questions.

Associate
Hi, I was just wondering, what is difference between 64bit and 32bit?

Also, what doesn't the OEM version have when compared to the full retail?

Soldato
64-bit Windows is for processors which support 64-bit data (basically a lot bigger than 32-bit, allowing higher accuracy, faster operations with larger data and enormous address spaces). Most modern processors are 64-bit processors.
If your processor supports it, use 64-bit windows. It'll be able to run 32-bit applications, but a 32-bit windows won't run 64-bit applications.

An OEM license is for a single computer, and is not legally transferrable. Full retail you can install on any computer you like (as long as it's not on two at the same time)

Soldato
64 has more bits, innit.

Seriously 64 bit is the future but you need to make sure your CPU is up to it (anything recent should be fine). No real reason not to go 64 IMO. Wiki will explain all the technical stuff better than I could :)

OEM Windows doesn't have the fancy box and booklet and when you install the OEM it is tied to that motherboard afaik. In practice there is no real difference. I use only OEM software and have had no bothers migrating it to new PCs yet

Associate
OP
ok, thanks guys, by the way, you know when it says pre-order on overclockers, that means out of stock right? Is there any way to check when it will be back in stock?

Associate
Retail Home Premium is £90 this week. You won't need anything more.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SW-124-MS

It's not worth getting an OEM version to save £8, unless you know for sure that you won't be doing any major upgrades which involve replacing the motherboard, or won't want to transfer the license to a different machine in the future.

ok, thanks guys, by the way, you know when it says pre-order on overclockers, that means out of stock right? Is there any way to check when it will be back in stock?
Webnote via the shop site, post in the customer service sub-forum, or phone up.

Back
Top Bottom