Gigabyte X58A-UD5 fAN hEADERS

Associate
Hi guys

Had one of these arrive today upgrading from an Asus board.

On the board is a North Bridge fan header, i know the NB is passive cooled on this board as I will not be overclocking initially, will the fan header be ok to power/run a 140mm rear fan?

Also looking at the manual the cpu fan can be monitored/controlled by the bios, does this apply to the other case fans that I will connect to the board?

Doesnt seem that clear in the manual, I dont really want the fans to be running at full speed all the time.

I will be installing the board in my 800D this afternoon :)

cheers

Associate
On the board is a North Bridge fan header, i know the NB is passive cooled on this board as I will not be overclocking initially, will the fan header be ok to power/run a 140mm rear fan?

Yes, this should be fine as each header will support the same load (iirc i think they can take upto half an amp each, but dont quote me on that)

Also looking at the manual the cpu fan can be monitored/controlled by the bios, does this apply to the other case fans that I will connect to the board?

Depends on the type of headers. The cpu fan header will be a 4 pin PWM header and can be controlled from the motherboard. If the others are also 4 pin, then they can also be controlled from the motherboard, if they are three pin (look exactly the same, but with one less pin), then in most cases they cannot be controlled from the motherboard.

having said that, the fans themselves must also be 4pin pwm (not molex) to be motherboard controlled.

edit: if the headers/fans are just 3pin, and you want to control the speed, you can buy a fan controller, which allows you to adjust the voltage to the fans, or if money's an issue, do it yourself and stick a resistor/rheostat onto the fan itself

Last edited:
Associate
ok, soz about the double post. Took a look at your board on gigabyte site (i assume this is your board anyways):
motherboardproductimaged.jpg

green headers are 4pin. one of these will be for cpu fan. the other you can pair with a 4pin pwm fan and control speed from the mobo. red headers are 3pin. as you can see, you can run 4 extra fans from the mobo itself, but wont be speed controlled (see above suggestions)
if you're using the fans that came with the case, chances are they use molex power connectors and just plug straight into your power supply anyways.

Associate
I've never had a case fan as I have two fan grid "openings" at the back and the scythe ninja cooler is so tall that when I mount the fan on it, it aligns with the exit and so in theory should blow the heat straight out the opening. I'm not sure though if it is better to pull the out by mountain the fan closer to the back grid or blow through the heatsink and out the back (I currently use the latter, but am about to upgrade to x4 so might become an issue).

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help guys !

All of the case fans are 3 pin & the 2 Apaches on my H50 are running off a pwn splitter so that will be controlled by the bios.

I just hope the 140mm Xigmateks dont sound like a harrier if they are running at full speed :)

Cheers

Associate
Thanks for your help guys !

All of the case fans are 3 pin & the 2 Apaches on my H50 are running off a pwn splitter so that will be controlled by the bios.

I just hope the 140mm Xigmateks dont sound like a harrier if they are running at full speed :)

Cheers

I believe the larger the fan the quieter it should be as its rotation should be slower. I have a simple plastic 120mm fan for my scythe and I can't hear it at all. Even with the case open it is hardly audible. You should be fine. :)

Associate
OP
Yes I did notice that I have now plugged the rear case fan (3 pin) into the northbridge header & its running at full speed.

Really pleased with the board :)

Cheers

abs

abs

Associate
can someone tell me if i have connected my fans correctly. i have a similar set up to Roman, i.e. corsair H50 sandwiched between 2 apache fans in push/pull. the h50 pump was plugged into the cpu fan header on the mobo (UD5) and the apache's plugged into the other spare fan headers.
i grabbed an akasa pwm fan splitter today and the cables are are labelled on the splitter and it also has a molex connector for the psu.

i've connected one cable on the splitter to the cpu fan header on the mobo (as this is what the label instructs) and then plugged the H50 pump cable into the 4 pin adaptor on the spillter (marked cpu fan) and the apache's to the other 2 adaptors on the splitter. i think this is all correct.

now in the bios i have selected the pwm option and also auto fan control. this has quietened the pc significantly and i can barely hear the fans. the H50 is still outputting at 1400 rpm and the apache's about 1000rpm. i am currently running my I7 930 at 4ghz with idle temps about 42c and load about 65. i think the temps were slightly lower when auto fan control was disabled in bios and everything running at full speed. are my setttings correct for pwm fan control?

also in cpu monitor it only shows the status of 3 fans, the h50 pump, 1 apache and a roof fan on the 800d why aren't my other fans shown (i.e other apache and case fans)

Associate
I'd plug the H50 pump cable into a fan header on the motherboard.
You don't want PWM control on the pump.
Only use the CPU header to power the fans on the radiator, not the pump.

Soldato
NB(passive cooling) runs ok even when overclocking, CPU Header has 3 settings, auto / pwn / voltage.

CPU Smart FAN Control Enables or disables the CPU fan speed control function. Enabled allows the CPU fan to run at different speed according to the CPU temperature. You can adjust the fan speed with EasyTune based on system requirements.
If disabled, CPU fan runs at full speed. (Default: Enabled) CPU Smart FAN Mode Specifies how to control CPU fan speed. This item is configurable only if CPU Smart FAN Control is set to Enabled.

Auto-Lets BIOS autodetect the type of CPU fan installed and sets the optimal CPU fan control mode. (Default)

Voltage-Sets Voltage mode for a 3-pin CPU fan.

PWM-Sets PWM mode for a 4-pin CPU fan.

Note: The Voltage mode can be set for a 3-pin CPU fan or a 4-pin CPU fan. However, for a 4-pin CPU fan that is not designed following Intel PWM fan specifications, selecting PWM mode may not effectively reduce the fan speed.

Hope this helps :).

abs

abs

Associate
I'd plug the H50 pump cable into a fan header on the motherboard.
You don't want PWM control on the pump.
Only use the CPU header to power the fans on the radiator, not the pump.

the akasa splitter is plugged into the cpu fan header as this is where the h50 pump was originally plugged into, i recall reading somewhere else that the pump should be plugged into the cpu han header on the board. my pump rpm is running just over 1400 rpm.

if i remember when i first installed the h50 i connected the h50 fan into the cpu fan header and the pump into one of the other fan headers on the mobo but my temps were really high and the h50 pump was not running at full power and was only giving me something like 600-700 rpm. it was only when i plugged the h50 pump into the cpu fan header the temps lowered and the rpm was at max.

Associate
the akasa splitter is plugged into the cpu fan header as this is where the h50 pump was originally plugged into, i recall reading somewhere else that the pump should be plugged into the cpu han header on the board. my pump rpm is running just over 1400 rpm.

if i remember when i first installed the h50 i connected the h50 fan into the cpu fan header and the pump into one of the other fan headers on the mobo but my temps were really high and the h50 pump was not running at full power and was only giving me something like 600-700 rpm. it was only when i plugged the h50 pump into the cpu fan header the temps lowered and the rpm was at max.

I also use an Akasa PWM splitter (2 in fact, daisy chained) connected to my CPU fan header on the motherboard. However I only connect the fans (Apache PWMs) to this as the motherboard is set to PWM to adjust the speed of the fans dependent on CPU load. The Pump power cable is connected to a normal 12V Fan header on the motherboard so as to run at the same maximum pump speed all the time. I do not want the pump speed to vary with CPU load, only the Fan Speeds. I read this in an article also -
"The four-pin fan lead is designed to plug into a motherboard header, and it will play nicely with temperature-based automatic fan speed controls. However, the pump's three-pin connector must be connected to a power source that provides a constant 12 volts."

Permabanned
I have my UD5 crammed full of Coolermaster LED fans. They are completely silent and everything is nice and cool :)

Back
Top Bottom