• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 fan spun at 100% rebooted and cpu overclock failed message? help!

Associate
Hi

I just recived a 5870. it's worked fine till about 5mins ago. Turned my pc on no signal to monitors, restarted it then the cards fan spun at what sounded like the max speed and still no signal.

rebooted again and recived a message saying that my overclock had failed.

the pc has booted fine now but i wonder has anyone else had this happen? if so do ya know why???

RJC

RJC

Don
It has happened to me once before on various gpus, re-do your overclock and double check for stability.

Soldato
I had a similar fault a while ago, my Q6600 was clocked to 3600, with 2 x 8800 GTS (512 & 320).
Came home one day and booted up fine, then shutdown to add an SSD... upon powering back up, no display... then after another reboot and no display, I removed the 320GTS and booted up, bios reported bad OC.... I restore the bios default and CPU settings and was then able to get back into windows....

I could not get my old 3600 OC working again, so left it at 3000 for a month or two, then one day decided to try adding the old 320 GTS back in and it botted and ran fine for a few more weeks, I have since upped the OC to 3200 and so far working well ???

To be honest, no idea what caused it, but I think it was my Hyper Type R PSU, can't confirm this, but I have now replaced this with a new 700 PSU and replaced both GPU's witih a 5850, so might try my old 3600 settings again..

Do you have another PSU to test, also, try memtest in case one of your ram chips has failed.

Associate
OP
I had a similar fault a while ago, my Q6600 was clocked to 3600, with 2 x 8800 GTS (512 & 320).
Came home one day and booted up fine, then shutdown to add an SSD... upon powering back up, no display... then after another reboot and no display, I removed the 320GTS and booted up, bios reported bad OC.... I restore the bios default and CPU settings and was then able to get back into windows....

I could not get my old 3600 OC working again, so left it at 3000 for a month or two, then one day decided to try adding the old 320 GTS back in and it botted and ran fine for a few more weeks, I have since upped the OC to 3200 and so far working well ???

To be honest, no idea what caused it, but I think it was my Hyper Type R PSU, can't confirm this, but I have now replaced this with a new 700 PSU and replaced both GPU's witih a 5850, so might try my old 3600 settings again..

Do you have another PSU to test, also, try memtest in case one of your ram chips has failed.

cheers, no dont have a diff psu, it's a 700w ocz modextream so should have sufficent power - will run memtest tho

Back
Top Bottom