Where would we be without forums/internet?

Soldato
Ive been watching "The Virtual Revolution" and its made me think if the net was never invented, where would we be today.
1 Would computer hardware be as advanced as it is today.
2 Would highstreet prices be high for low qual items?
3 Would we have as much entertainment audio and video tech available to us?

Soldato
The Internet is like mobile phones etc, we lived without them and could do again. However we have become used to them in our lives and so they seem like necessity.

1)Possibly not as many people would not need pc's
2)Probably as it would be hard to compare prices
3) No

Associate
The Internet is like mobile phones etc, we lived without them and could do again. However we have become used to them in our lives and so they seem like necessity.

Speak for yourself, i would probably hang myself - or go outside and lose my IT tan :cool:

I think we wouldn't be here on the net thinking about the possibility of not having the net :p

1.) With IT development it became important for computers to communicate with each other so i can't see how this would be the case. So surely the question would be, would there be personal computers?
2.) as cymatty said :p
3.) not much Pr0n thats for sure :o

Soldato
I was going to say i'd be bored without it, but if it was never invented then i wouldn't know any different.

Tech wise i think we would be less advanced if the internet never existed.

Soldato
I would read more newspapers for a start :) I find forums great for finding out about the world, fair enough newspapers cover the main stories but digging around various sites allows me to keep up to date on topics I find interesting :)

For instance mt dad buys and reads a few different newspapers daily. I just trawl the news sites online instead :)

i'd be fine without the internet and a mobile, i'd just be very poor as most of my business if from gained from it.

without these forums i don't think i'd have as open view on situations as i do. i'm not massively open minded, i just think that i have a fairly good view on things helped by the down to earth, no nonsense people (for instance [TW]fox) that post here.

Soldato
I discussed this with a friend a while back. We both agreed that the 'internet' was unavoidable... it is a platform of worldwide communication. Regardless of what may have happened in the past, we would have ended up with some sort of system to send information over great distances as well as a place to archive information, much like a library. The Internet exists because it has to exist. At the time, and even so now, sending information digitally and via cable is a logical and achievable solution.

Soldato
Ive been watching "The Virtual Revolution" and its made me think if the net was never invented, where would we be today.

Some of us are old enough to remember life before the WWW.

1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes. It'd be higher quality with all crap that on youtube being submitted to You've Been Framed instead.

We'd be back in the early 90s. Services such as Compuserve and CIX provided dial up access, discussion forums etc.

I suspect people would be doing more work when at they're at work tho! :D

Soldato
I general, I would be a much better person, probably done all my homework already, read some book this afternoon, and I'd be in bed right now instead of being on the internet.

1. nope - Internet has made computers much more valuable to everyone, so I doubt as much research would have been invested in computer hardware (at least in the PC sense).
2. probably - Much harder to find better products/cheaper prices without it... of course there would be magazines, chat etc, but still less effective, I imagine.
3. probably more - Without internet, I would imagine other forms of entertainment such as cinema, TV, radio etc becoming more popular, resulting in more investment into those areas.

Soldato
OP
3. probably more - Without internet, I would imagine other forms of entertainment such as cinema, TV, radio etc becoming more popular, resulting in more investment into those areas.

Some high end speakers you can only get from the net, like B.K.Electronics for subwoofers and XTZ for speakers. would these sort of companies never of existed without the net?

Caporegime
Some high end speakers you can only get from the net, like B.K.Electronics for subwoofers and XTZ for speakers. would these sort of companies never of existed without the net?

They would exist, they would just run through small high end audio magazines rather than a website.

Back
Top Bottom