• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HTPC card,big screen

Associate
I think you'd be better off with a 5450 personally. Price is the same but you get Dolby TrueSound passthrough that way. Should be very cool and quiet, I think there are already passive versions about.

Are you sure you need a GPU though? What integrated graphics do you have? I assume you're only playing video?

The Shark codec pack looks good, it should give you full DXVA support where available. It's what I'd use if I was using Media Center insted of MediaPortal. MPC is a different video player, useful to have but it doesn't integrate with WMC in any way. The Shark codec may even contain the MPC codecs already.

Soldato
I'd go for the ATi just to get the TrueHD. Coreavc is over rated imo, stopped using it awhile back. Reasonable cpu can handle most h264 streams and you can't easily get the TrueHD to an amp without the ATi. I currently use a 9600GT, more than likely a 5450 will be the replacement.

Soldato
I'd go for the ATi just to get the TrueHD. Coreavc is over rated imo, stopped using it awhile back. Reasonable cpu can handle most h264 streams and you can't easily get the TrueHD to an amp without the ATi. I currently use a 9600GT, more than likely a 5450 will be the replacement.

It is the only solution to guarantee 100% decoding of all h264 streams, ATI don't have an answer to that at the moment. But I agree if you have a decent CPU then it will be able to handle all the decoding anyway. By decent I would say a 3Ghz core 2 duo or pretty much any intel quad.

Associate
OP
K,thanks lads.Will get the 5450

Will it fit in the antec micro fusion?The card is low profile but i dont know if the bracket is

Last edited:
Associate
K,thanks lads.Will get the 5450

Will it fit in the antec micro fusion?The card is low profile but i dont know if the bracket is
My Sapphire 5450 came with both sized brackets so you should be fine. Also I've used both a 5450 and GT220 for HTPC use and there really is no visible difference.

Back
Top Bottom